Can I use a European SIM card in my devices?

WendyJoy57

My daughter and I will be traveling to Europe (Ireland, United Kingdom, Italy), leaving in a few weeks.  I have a Google Pixel XL and my daughter has iPhone 7 (both purchased 2 months ago).  Are the phones unlocked and compatible with an Ireland | England | Italy SIM card (understanding that I'd need to get a separate SIM card for each country)?

Also, I read somewhere that although a SIM card may be compatible, the phone itself may not be because it's set up to use USA wireless system (versus the system used overseas).  With that, if Verizon online says the phone is compatible with a Verizon International Plan, does that ALSO mean that if I insert a European SIM card, the phone will be compatible to access their wireless system?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers

Re: Traveling to Europe

rcschnoor
Sr. Leader

WendyJoy57 wrote:

Looked up Project Fi and it sounds VERY interesting (for Pixel and Nexus phones only). I wonder, though, can one belong to two carriers at one time, ie: if I put Project Fi's SIM card in my Pixel phone, can I stay with Verizon, too (since I'll only be traveling for 2 weeks)? I don't want to loose my Verizon plan because I'm paying for the phone monthly.

Yes, you can. Simply take out the Verizon SIM, put in the Project Fi Sim and switch back when you return from Europe. It will not affect your Verizon service. Then you can cancel your Project Fi service when you return, or keep it if you like it. It is a much more cost effective international solution than Verizon. The only downside is you would have to use a new number for Project Fi, but you would have done so with international SIMs, too.

0 Likes

Weth
Sr. Leader

Unlocked and international compatible.

Highlighted

rcschnoor
Sr. Leader

The iPhone7 is a different story as they are not currently 100% compatible, but for your Pixel, you may want to look into getting a Project Fi Sim card for your trip abroad. They have very reasonable rates for European travel.

WendyJoy57

Looked up Project Fi and it sounds VERY interesting (for Pixel and Nexus phones only).  I wonder, though, can one belong to two carriers at one time, ie: if I put Project Fi's SIM card in my Pixel phone, can I stay with Verizon, too (since I'll only be traveling for 2 weeks)?  I don't want to loose my Verizon plan because I'm paying for the phone monthly.

0 Likes

rcschnoor
Sr. Leader

WendyJoy57 wrote:

Looked up Project Fi and it sounds VERY interesting (for Pixel and Nexus phones only). I wonder, though, can one belong to two carriers at one time, ie: if I put Project Fi's SIM card in my Pixel phone, can I stay with Verizon, too (since I'll only be traveling for 2 weeks)? I don't want to loose my Verizon plan because I'm paying for the phone monthly.

Yes, you can. Simply take out the Verizon SIM, put in the Project Fi Sim and switch back when you return from Europe. It will not affect your Verizon service. Then you can cancel your Project Fi service when you return, or keep it if you like it. It is a much more cost effective international solution than Verizon. The only downside is you would have to use a new number for Project Fi, but you would have done so with international SIMs, too.

0 Likes

Weth
Sr. Leader

rcschnoor wrote:

The iPhone7 is a different story as they are not currently 100% compatible, but for your Pixel, you may want to look into getting a Project Fi Sim card for your trip abroad. They have very reasonable rates for European travel.

What is your source the iPhone 7 is not compatible for international travel? Our 2 iPhone 7 and 7 Plus have no problem with international travel and are not locked. I don't remember seeing anywhere that the iPhone 7 has any trouble with international bands or putting in a European SIM

0 Likes

rcschnoor
Sr. Leader

I don't have a source that it isn't compatible for international travel because that is not what I said. I said it wasn't 100% compatible with Project Fi, which it isn't.

0 Likes

Weth
Sr. Leader

rcschnoor wrote:

I don't have a source that it isn't compatible for international travel because that is not what I said. I said it wasn't 100% compatible with Project Fi, which it isn't.

Sorry, I misread

0 Likes