Highlighted

Can I upgrade without trading in my phone?

ALEMAY67

I just want to make sure,

If I upgrade my phone, but retain my old one, the new line access fee simply replaces the old one, correct?

Also, I want to retain my old phone so I can switch my SIM between it and the new phone (old phone has cameras drilled out for work -- I just want a new phone with cameras for the weekend and whatnot). This will work, yes?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers

Re: Upgrade w/o trading in - new line access fee

tikibar1
Sr. Leader

You won't have a new line activation fee, but you'll have an upgrade fee (I believe it's currently $30) if you purchase your phone through VzW.

Yes, if the SIM cards are the same size, you can switch back-and-forth between phones (and if the SIM cards are different sizes, you can use a SIM card adapter).

tikibar1
Sr. Leader

You won't have a new line activation fee, but you'll have an upgrade fee (I believe it's currently $30) if you purchase your phone through VzW.

Yes, if the SIM cards are the same size, you can switch back-and-forth between phones (and if the SIM cards are different sizes, you can use a SIM card adapter).

rcschnoor
Sr. Leader

ALEMAY67 wrote:

I just want to make sure,

If I upgrade my phone, but retain my old one, the new line access fee simply replaces the old one, correct?

The line access fee is on the "line", not the phone. If you remove your "old phone" from the "line" and replace it with the "new phone", the line access fee simply remains. You only have 1 line which is charged an access fee, the "new phone" just happens to be active on it at the current time.

At to the "activation/upgrade fee" mentioned by tikibar1​, that only comes into play if you purchase a new phone designated as a "Verizon" phone from either Verizon or some authorized retailer. This type of phone usually comes with a Verizon SIM card in either a packet or already installed in the device. If you purchase an unlocked phone such as an iPhone, Galaxy S8, etc... from somewhere, you would not have the access fee. For example, if you purchase a "Verizon" iPhone from an Apple Store, you WOULD have an "upgrade fee" tacked on to your next Verizon bill. If you purchase an "unlocked" iPhone from an Apple Store, you WOULD NOT have an "upgrade fee" tacked on to your next bill. As far as I can tell, from purchasing 2 unlocked iPhones in the past couple of months from an Apple Store, the only difference is that the "unlocked" version does not come with a Verizon SIM card.