Can I trade in a device that's still on a payment plan?

I have a S7 Edge that I'm making payments on. I have a little more than a year left on it. I plan on paying it off over the 24 month agreement because I'm receiving an $18 a month credit towards the $33 monthly device payment. Now, I know that I can still give that phone to someone else to use, as long as I am making payments on that device. But I would like to trade it in to Verizon now, and will use a different phone on my line instead. But I am getting an error when I try to submit the trade-in request, and it says that my device is still on a payment plan. I am a long term customer and fully intend to pay the device off over time. Is there any way for me to trade it in to Verizon? They're offering $480 in bill credits now for my S7 Edge, and I want to take advantage of that.

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Highlighted

Re: Can I trade in a device that's still on a payment plan?

Expert

The balance that has to be paid is the pre-credit remaining balance of the device payment agreement. Any bill credits not yet received are forfeited if the device balance is paid off early.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted

I believe you have to pay the phone off first. I have see on here where people have paid the balance off their phone them were given credit towards the trade in for the Note 8

Highlighted

Expert

The balance that has to be paid is the pre-credit remaining balance of the device payment agreement. Any bill credits not yet received are forfeited if the device balance is paid off early.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted

From what Verizon has told me, you are correct. It does seem unfair, since I have every intention of paying off the device over time so that I do not forfeit those monthly credits. $18 x 15 months = $270 in lost credits if I pay off the device in full now.

If I were to cancel my account right now I would be responsible for the full device payment, so why not just release the phone to me now so I can trade it in, and if I were to default on the payment plan they can then bill me in full as if I were cancelling my account.

It seems that I am stuck with my S7 Edge, which overall is a decent phone, but way too slow for me. It bothers me because there should be an alternative to this scenario, such as a credit card on file, or billing the phone to the account in the case of a default on my part.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Expert

Trading the phone to Verizon Wireless isn't always the best option. You can generally get more money back by selling the phone on Swappa or another retailer.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Generally you'd be right. But in the instance of purchasing a Samsung Note 8 they will artificially inflate the payout for your phone to $480 in the case of my S7 Edge. That's unbelievable, and it's killing me not to get it.

Covid19