Highlighted

Can I switch upgrades if I broke my device?

So I recently broke my old phone, and needed a new one.  We have an account with 5 different lines on it, and one of them was ready for one of the two year upgrades.  So I called customer service, asking them questions about whether or not I could use THAT upgrade from the other line to get a new phone.  (The phone that I broke was a basic phone, and I had decided to move up to a smartphone). So my question is: If I bought the phone on another line, and changed that line's plan to a smartphone plan, can I activate the device to MY line when I get it? And will the plan automatically switch over? I just don't want two smartphone plans when only one of my lines has a smartphone. Does that make sense? I used the other upgrade to get a smartphone, but I don't want it to be on that number. I want it to be on my number. Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Highlighted

Re: HEEEELLLPPPP!!!!!!

you have 2 options.  You can either A) do an alternate upgrade which extends the contract on the line u have the eligibility for. However, you will then have TWO smartphone plans and smartphone billing for both. Not necessarily the best option.  Or you can B) Just do the upgrade on the eligible line. When u GET the phone, DO NOT ACTIVATE IT !! Call Verizon from a land line phone OR from a different phone that is neither of the lines involved as these will both need to be turned off. When u call Verizon, you will tell them that u want to activate the NEW phone on YOUR phone number and the BROKEN phone on the other number. I've done this many, many times.

Good luck 🙂

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted

you have 2 options.  You can either A) do an alternate upgrade which extends the contract on the line u have the eligibility for. However, you will then have TWO smartphone plans and smartphone billing for both. Not necessarily the best option.  Or you can B) Just do the upgrade on the eligible line. When u GET the phone, DO NOT ACTIVATE IT !! Call Verizon from a land line phone OR from a different phone that is neither of the lines involved as these will both need to be turned off. When u call Verizon, you will tell them that u want to activate the NEW phone on YOUR phone number and the BROKEN phone on the other number. I've done this many, many times.

Good luck 🙂

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted

Community Manager
Community Manager

That's a great question Susan19!

I'm sorry to hear your phone broke but I'm glad you have a line that's eligible. I am pleased to say you can definitely upgrade a different line on your account and activate it under your phone number. Then, we can simply activate the basic phone back on that line. Send me a direct message by hovering over my profile avatar and selecting 'Message' to continue.

AdaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at @VZWSupport 

0 Likes