Highlighted

Can I pay to get out of my contract but keep my Verizon phone and service?

If I pay the early termination fee to be released from my contract, can I keep my Verizon phone and service plan and continue without a contract?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Highlighted

Re: Can I pay to get out of my contract but keep my Verizon phone and service?

Sr. Leader

No; an ETF is paid when you terminate service.  If you plan to continue using your phone/service, an ETF doesn't apply.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Sr. Leader

No; an ETF is paid when you terminate service.  If you plan to continue using your phone/service, an ETF doesn't apply.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Novice

Actually they can pay the ETF and have it debited to them and be out of contract.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Sr. Leader

If you port your number you have an ETF and can keep your number and phone, but not your service.  If you terminate you pay the ETF and keep the phone but lose the number.  But I'm not sure I understand how paying the ETF and then having it billed to you again works.

Highlighted

If you want to keep your service and plan along with your phone but just don't want to physically pay a bill each month you can setup your account for auto-payment.  The only reason to pay an ETF is because your not longer happy with your service which of course cancels your service. 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Novice

Essentially what they are asking is can they pay the ETF to buy out their contract and then continue on a mth 2 mth basis. The answer is yes they can all they need is for a manager to debit them the ETF charges and then take the contract date off. Now will a manager do it? Maybe, maybe not as it does count against them as a disconnect.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Sr. Leader

Seems kinda wrong.  The contract would still be broken.  They would not have fulfilled their agreement.  Month to month means they could leave anytime.  I get the "pay it off and keep the service."  But that doesn't make sense to pay to end a contract and then stay and continue to pay for service.  Sounds like a customer would lose money that way.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Sr. Leader

There are a number of reasons why someone would want to do so, such as purchasing a discounted phone or getting a Month to Month discount on More Everything line access fee or to purchase an Edge phone without sending in your current contract phone and not have a limitation on which phone you can purchase.

Whether or not it is possible to do, I have never heard of such a thing.

Highlighted

Sr. Leader

I don't question the reasons, I question the money involved.

0 Likes
Highlighted

I think is a very bad idea for VZW or any carrier to allow it because then contracts mean squat which would just cause them not to offer contracts anymore or raise the ETF to keep people from abusing it any further.

0 Likes