Currently I have a droid phone under contract with Verizon, and I am eligible for an upgrade in June, 2015, but can buy out of the contract for $180. I also am going to get a company phone for my job, but it is required that this be the iphone 6 and it can be either with Verizon or AT&T service. Ideally I would like to just transfer my number to my company account and use the iphone full time, but unfortunately it's not that simple.
Here are the options I've been informed I have:
1) Have the company take over my account for no cost, but the company would have to pay $649 for a new iphone since I'm not eligible for an upgrade, and I'm not sure I can get this added cost approved.
2) Get a separate company phone number and iphone that the company will buy for me (I think it will cost them $200). Not ideal because I would either lose my phone number or I would have to keep paying for my phone and carry 2 phones around.
Here's the option I want, but nobody can confirm it is possible:
3) I buy out my old contract for $180, then transfer the phone number to my company phone where I would get a new contract and a new iphone. I'd be fine paying the $180 out of my pocket since I'd make that up in savings in 3 months. I was on hold with customer service while 2 service people were debating whether or not this was possible, but after 15 minutes of dead air I had to leave to attend a work meeting, so I don't know if it's possible.
Here's the option I don't want to but may be forced to do:
4) Start a new contract with AT&T through my company and have my number ported over. I would then pay the $180 to Verizon to get me out of my obligation.
In case anyone has actually taken the time to read all this, here are my questions:
- Is Option #3 actually possible? Has anyone done it?
- Is Option #4 possible? If it is possible, wouldn't Verizon just prefer I do option #3.
- Are there any other options I'm not considering?
Thanks for any input you can give
Thanks for reaching out to us SlamWolf. I truly understand your dilemma and want to help. If you cancel your line and pay the early termination fee, you will lose the number. We are unable to change you upgrade date but can check your account for Early Edge upgrade eligibility. Do you have any issues with your current phone? If your job takes over the line, yes you will still have to wait for the upgrade date to get a discount. We don't want to lose you with our family.
Follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport
Yes, I'm available for Early Edge upgrade, but from what I can tell it doesn't really offer my company any savings versus them just buying the iphone up front at full price, and it probably just creates complications for the IT department. Either way, it's an additional cost that I would have to get approved.
So it sounds like my best option is to just move my number to AT&T and cancel my verizon account? Seems like you would not want that to happen.
I do not have any issues with my current phone, but my company requires that I get an iphone due to compatibility with email and security.
Thanks for the quick response