Highlighted

Re: Call from my own number

Just happened to me! A call from my own cell phone to my cell phone. Even showed my contact picture from my Gmail account. There's an automated message saying my account has been suspended.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Customer Support

It's worrying to see you received a call from your same number informing you that your account was suspended. It's our priority that we make sure your information is completely safeguarded. We've contacted you via a private message for additional assistance.

GeovannJ_VZW

0 Likes
Highlighted

I can't block my voice mail number. When I try it says that I cannot block user's voice mail.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Customer Support

Sweetchip, I'd like to help with all of your options. When you say block your number, does that mean you would not like to access your voicemail, as well as not wanting anyone to leave you a message? 

Please elaborate so we can better assist you. 

VanessaS_VZW

0 Likes
Highlighted

Well so far I have had 38 of these calls since Dec 22nd.
Family members(53 of us so far) that have Verizon are all talking about having the exact same problem during the last couple of weeks. 
Two of these family members work at four year colleges listen to staff members that have college provided Verizon phones comlain about the same problem.

Right now here are couple things I do depending on how obnoxious these calls get:

One method is disable mobile calls; however, the calls will still go thru to voicemail providing proof that they have reached a valid working number:

1. Disable WIFI-Calling
  2. Turn on 'Airplane Mode'
  3. Turn on WIFI after Airplane Mode has finished turning off all other connections
  4. At this point apps such as Facebook Messenger, Skype, and Whatsapp work very well.

Another method seems to buy me a couple weeks of freedom
from these jackels and is kind of extreme:

1. Find a phone number that is disconnect or not valid, or better yet a known fax number or modem.  I set up my landline with an old fax machine that answers on the first ring.
  2. Setup conditional call forwaing to that number by dialing *92{the number} and SEND
  3. When a call comes in that you recognize - answer it
  4. If you do not recognize it let ring and it will be forwarded to the other number rather than your voicemail.  If the robocaller gets a disconnect message or fax tone they flag your number as invalid and you're dropped off their list.  (This takes awile to be effective)
  5. However, the downside of this is geniune callers will not be able to leave a voicemail.

My family members and friends are doing this at the moment due to the huge volume of these bogus calls.  We send each other messages - "Hey call me." or "I'm going to call you so you better answer."

Then there are people like my cousins at college who only have a mifi hotspot and a tablet or laptop.  Mifi hotspots don't get robocalls.

I will be doing this at the end of my current contract.

0 Likes
Highlighted

I've gotten a few calls from my own number saying my Verizon account has been locked due to fraud activity and too stay on the line to talk to someone. I know this is a scam but the next time I get the call I'm going to play along and scare the heck out of them....

0 Likes
Highlighted

Customer Support

Good morning palmer44!

Our valued customer's concerns are our concerns too! We thank you for providing valuable information about receiving unwanted calls to your mobile number that displays your own phone number calling you. This is an example of Spoofing. False Caller ID/Caller ID Spoofing is a technique that allows a caller to change the caller identification associated with their number. We apologize for your inconvenience. Spoofing is not caused by an error in the network or your phone. Rather spoofing usually happens when the calling party uses any one of a number of pay services (such as Spooftel, Spoofer, and Spoof Card, etc.,), which provide a service that enables the calling party to change the message, sent as Caller ID. So, what can customers do?

• One of the easiest things to do is Don’t Answer. If the call is legitimate, the caller will usually leave a voicemail. When they don’t, it’s usually an indicator that the caller was a fraudster.

• If the customer does answer, Don’t Say Anything. If it’s a fraudster, they’ll often hear a delay or nothing. If it’s a legitimate call, you’ll normally hear “Hello? Are you there?”

• Customers can block numbers, but this may not help permanently because fraudsters can often change the number very quickly.

We've also noted your reference to receiving a message from the unwanted/unsolicited call that your Verizon account has been locked due to fraudulent activity and to stay on the line to talk with someone. Spam calls include robocalls, spoofed calls, fraud calls, scam calls, and other unwanted calls. These types of calls affect many of our customers and non-customers too. As spammers are creating new and innovative ways to contact customers, Verizon offers our customers new features, such as our very popular Call Filter option, to help reduce these types of calls. Call Filter is a service that helps you take control of your calls and gives you the tools to manage those calls as you choose. You can view additional information about our Call Filter option at http://spr.ly/66091Z9rV. I use this feature with my own family's Verizon account and I can confirm that it works very well and I'm confident that this feature will work for you too. - RobertC_VZW

0 Likes
Highlighted

Thanks, I was wondering if that would mess something up. I am so sick of blocking numbers. Hope I don't have a limit.

0 Likes
Highlighted

I'm very glad to see in March that Verizon will be offering spam and robo calling features free. I figured this was another new way to charge us more.

0 Likes
Highlighted

I blocked my number the first time this happened.  It seems to work until today.

I got a call from my own number but it said it was from Voicemail.

0 Likes