Highlighted

Call from my own number

clarence2

In a local group, several people in the Santa Rosa, CA area report getting calls on their cell phones from their own cell phone number.

The common trend seems to be former AT&T numbers ported to Verizon, but that might not be true in most cases.

When answered, the male voice says, "Your account has been flagged for referral to our security department.  Please enter the last four digits of the primary account holders security number to proceed."

I didn't.

Labels (1)

Re: Call from my own number

Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you so much for reaching out with your concern Clarence2. You absolutely did the right thing by not providing the requested information. Your privacy and safety are a huge priority. Here is a great link with more information: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/company-name-id-faqs/#item9 I hope this is beneficial.

MelissaP_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes

sprmankalel
Leader

It is good that you didn't. you should advise your friends not to either. Don't answer those calls.

0 Likes

SBW320

I've received 3 of these calls so far today.  I am very disappointed that a company as large as Verizon can't stop these robocalls.  

afrostyday

I received several calls from my own cell phone number. I answered the first call because I thought it may have been a "call back" or a message from Verizon. When I answered the call from my own number, it was a telemarketer with an accent that sounded like it was from India. I couldnt find anyone who could advise me on this issue so I went into my settings and I blocked my own cell phone number from calling my phone. It worked like a charm. 

bbgillum

Thats what happened to me today, i did the same, blocked my number

0 Likes

2BlackDogs

I had the same problem today.  I'll be blocking my number and changing my account passwords.

0 Likes

Community Manager
Community Manager

We never want you to feel disappointed with us, SBW320. Robocalls are never a fun thing to deal with, especially when the calls are coming from your own number. How long has this been going on? I know you had said that you had received 3 today. Do you receive these calls on a daily basis multiple times a day? -Joey

0 Likes

Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm sorry to hear you received these phone calls, bbgillum. The security of our customers is critical to us, and we are fighting back against these nuisance calls. We recommend using this link and under 'And here’s what you can do' you can find more information on ways to cut down on spam calls. https://www.verizon.com/about/news/there-are-options-for-blocking-robocalls I'm confident these solutions will be beneficial against these phone calls.

GersonG_VZW    

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thank in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes

Bassj1992

It is federally mandated that phone companies cannot block or stop robocalls specifically or 800——— calls. However there are several resources available to do so through various apps. Also. This is common among all carriers and has been on the rise in recent months. It’s called spoofing and you should report it appropriately. 

0 Likes