Highlighted

Bogus data usage?

CHRMAR99

I have a 6 GB plan. I average 1.2 GB usage each month but I'm OK with my plan. I have an iPhone 6 and my wife has a 6S+. Yesterday, 3 days into my billing cycle I received a text message from Verizon saying I was already 2 GB over my 6GB plan usage. I was enroute to visit family but called the *611 line and the representative asked me what I had been doing on Sunday when a majority of the usage occurred. I was cleaning house for arriving relatives and watching football.  The majority of my usage was Google maps navigation. (We regularly kill our apps so nothing is running in the background.) I never even left the house. My wife was on an airplane home from Japan and her phone was physically turned off for at least 13 hours. She turned it on around 5:30 pm when leaving the airport to call and advise she was on the way home. We have an extensive wireless network at home and don't stream movies or use any data hog apps. I was told her usage that day was social media. (Did I mention the phone was physically off for 13 hours???). I noticed another forum comment inquiring if the data usage meter was down because it showed they had no data left. I'm only 3 days into my billing cycle and already 2 GB over (1.2 monthly average and 8 GB used in 3 days) Any idea what's going on???

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers

Re: Bogus data usage?

Weth
Sr. Leader

If Verizon determines it was not a system issue, on My Verizon, it will tell you exactly which phone was using data. So you can narrow it down to which phone caused a problem. That phone will have data counters that may help you narrow down which app caused the problem.

I know you said you are ok with your current plan, but you should consider if switching to the new Verizon Plan makes better sense for you. Remember switching a plan does not change any contract requirements. By switching to the Verizon Plan you could purchase either the 4 GB and save money each month on data you don't usually use or go to 8 GB for month for about the same as 6 GB costs on More Everything. If you are already on the old Verizon Plan at 6 GB, switching makes even more sense. The only factor to consider is how much you are paying for access fees for each phone and make sure you calculate that into the total price.

By switching to the new Verizon Plan, you can add Safety Mode so you don't need to worry about going over your data, the data will just slow down. And second, you get carry over data so the data you don't use in a month will carryover for back up use the following month (it expires after 1 month).

View solution in original post

0 Likes

Community Manager
Community Manager

CHRMAR99,

We know how important it is to understand where your usage is coming from. I would like the opportunity to look into yours. I have sent you a private message so I may gather further details from you.

ChristineJ_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes

Weth
Sr. Leader

If Verizon determines it was not a system issue, on My Verizon, it will tell you exactly which phone was using data. So you can narrow it down to which phone caused a problem. That phone will have data counters that may help you narrow down which app caused the problem.

I know you said you are ok with your current plan, but you should consider if switching to the new Verizon Plan makes better sense for you. Remember switching a plan does not change any contract requirements. By switching to the Verizon Plan you could purchase either the 4 GB and save money each month on data you don't usually use or go to 8 GB for month for about the same as 6 GB costs on More Everything. If you are already on the old Verizon Plan at 6 GB, switching makes even more sense. The only factor to consider is how much you are paying for access fees for each phone and make sure you calculate that into the total price.

By switching to the new Verizon Plan, you can add Safety Mode so you don't need to worry about going over your data, the data will just slow down. And second, you get carry over data so the data you don't use in a month will carryover for back up use the following month (it expires after 1 month).

View solution in original post

0 Likes

CHRMAR99

Thanks for your quick response (I wasn't expecting it. I figured there

would only be a general response in the forum). I've just returned from a

road trip for TG with my family and now home to a house full of my wife's

relatives so I may be a bit slow in my followup. I really need to get to

the bottom of this as it is a total anomaly to the history of our usage

with no change in lifestyle, along with the circumstances in this 3 day

timeline. After following a number of posts on the forum, it appears there

are others who are experiencing similar issues. I will give you every

detail possible to assist in the research and resolution. Something is

definitely wrong here. The rep I spoke with (Ciera) was professional and

courteous, but approached it as if it had to do with my usage. I honestly

don't think so. Her resolution was to add more data to my package. Again.

thank you for responding and I will get all the facts together and work

with you towards a resolution or solution to the issue.

Chris

0 Likes

Verizon Employee
CHRMAR99,

You've come to the right place for assistance. We've sent you a Private Message in your Inbox.

KatiM_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes