Highlighted

Billing issue - Surcharges

crash0099

My name is Craig and I live in rural South Georgia.  I went back a 1 1/2 years of my bill and saw that I have an Administrative Charge (Under Surcharges) which has always listed a $1.23 and as of my September bill the that fee has jumped up to a $1.78. 

Can anyone tell me why?  All I get from Customer Service is "It is the Government and we have no control over that!", I want someone to tell me exactly why!  Someone has to know even if they don't want to speak about it.  That is a 44% hike on that "little FEE".

Talk too me people. Have any others seen this for September?  This should be a Universal Fee change.  Lets find out what is going on here!

0 Likes

Re: Billing issue - Surcharges

Ann154
Expert

Check the last page or two of your bill. There are usually a number of notices or disclosures there that could explain the the changes. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes

mama23dogs
Sr. Leader

It’s not a government fee.  It a cost of doing business fee and both AT&T and Verizon had increased it over the years.  AT&T is up to $1.99 per line.  

The carrier doesn’t have to explain it, and I don’t know why you think they need to justify it.  If you don’t like it, you will have to change carriers to one that hides the fee in their lump sum charge.

0 Likes

Ann154
Expert

Check the bill just before the Administrative Fee was increased. There is an explanation for the increase in that bill. For example, it was in my bill for the billing cycle ending in July and the increase was in the August bill. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes

rcschnoor
Sr. Leader

As indicated by @Ann154 my bill prior to the surcharge increase stated the following:

Notice of Administrative Charge Increase
Effective August 8, 2019, the monthly Verizon Wireless
Administrative Charge for voice-capable devices will
increase from $1.23 to $1.78 per line. The charge for
data-only devices remains $0.06. The increased
charge will appear on your next bill. For further
information regarding this charge, review the "Explanation of Surcharges" section of this bill, or
consult your customer agreement at
www.verizonwireless.com/customeragreement.

Explanation of Surcharges
Surcharges include (i) a Regulatory Charge (which
helps defray various government charges we pay
including government number administration and
license fees); (ii) a Federal Universal Service Charge
(and, if applicable, a State Universal Service Charge) to
recover charges imposed on us by the government to
support universal service; and (iii) an Administrative
Charge, which helps defray certain expenses we incur,
including: charges we, or our agents, pay local
telephone companies for delivering calls from our
customers to their customers; fees and assessments
on our network facilities and services; property taxes;
and the costs we incur responding to regulatory
obligations. Please note that these are Verizon
Wireless charges, not taxes. These charges, and what's included, are subject to change from time to
time.

KWC813

My surcharges aren't going up dramatically, just inching up a little each month.  I've been with Verizon a long time, nothing to keep me here so I'm price shopping now. I barely use data, have never approached even coming close so I KNOW there's a cheaper alternative just as effective as Verizon.  I'll do my homework and then let everybody know one way or another.

0 Likes

mama23dogs
Sr. Leader

@KWC813 wrote:

My surcharges aren't going up dramatically, just inching up a little each month.  I've been with Verizon a long time, nothing to keep me here so I'm price shopping now. I barely use data, have never approached even coming close so I KNOW there's a cheaper alternative just as effective as Verizon.  I'll do my homework and then let everybody know one way or another.

Have you considered Verizon prepaid?  More data for less money and far less in tax and fees.  No admin fee at all.

0 Likes

Weth
Sr. Leader

Ya, it was announced and put on your prior bill. It is not based on any specific federal tax or regulation. It is a way for Verizon to recover the cost of doing business without calling it a rate hike. Bogus for sure. Legal for sure. Being up front and honest about a rate hike - Nah. 

0 Likes