Highlighted

BEWARE: BOGO was a SCAM

Killearn

My son and I went into the local Verizon store in Tallahassee with the sole purpose of inquiring about purchasing a new Android phone that would be used on a new line. I told the local wireless consultant Brandon [removed], that we just wanted to see what the new monthly cost would be for the phone and line as we were attempting to keep the additional monthly cost down.

Brandon stated that there was a BOGO promo for the Android phone, and since we were thinking about getting one, we could get the second one and just pay the activation fee for the "free" phone. We made it very clear to Brandon that we did not need a new phone, but if it was only going to cost the price of a phone activation, then sure why not. While we were discussing the new line, Brandon asked if we wanted the unlimited plan. I asked what the cost would be, and since it was outside my budget, I said no, just increase my usage from 16GB/mo to 24GB/mo. The cost of the new phone, additional line, and increased usage was supposed to be between $65 - $70. When I go my bill this month, the increase was $130 - double what I have been told.

I went back to the same Verizon store and spoke with the manager today, and he said that the BOGO Android phone ONLY applied if I got the unlimited plan. I asked him what that cost would be and he said it would be over $100 more than my original bill. WOW! I said what if I give the phone back, what would that additional cost be? The manager said that cost would be around $90 more a month. He also said that if I gave back the phone, which I did not want in the first place, I would have to pay a $50 restocking fee. This is now a fiasco. These guys are like used car salesmen, but at least with used cars the customer has some consumer protection. I've been scammed, plain and simple. I got a phone I didn't want, and an increased monthly bill that had I known what the true amount was going to be, I would have never purchased the original phone or the additional line in the first plan. In the end, the person that is stuck, is the customer.

Content modified per Verizon WIreless Community terms of Service

Re: BEWARE: BOGO was a SCAM

boringusername

No it's not. If you read the terms and follow the proper procedures you'll be fine

0 Likes

Re: BEWABOGO was a SCAM

Community Manager
Community Manager

We are sorry to read about the situation that you went through in our store, and the misinformation that was given to you. We would like to provide some assistance. When was this purchase made? What was the reason you were told your monthly bill would increase by $90.00 if you returned the device?

PedroM_VZW

0 Likes

Killearn

It is a SCAM. I told the representative Brandon, in the Tallahassee office exactly what I wanted and it was he that changed my account from 16GB to 24GB and he set up the phones and explained what the charges would be. If the BOGO was only available with an unlimited plan Brandon should have said so and not changed my account to an incompatible, unsupported, expensive configuration.

0 Likes

boringusername

@Killearn wrote:

It is a SCAM. I told the representative Brandon, in the Tallahassee office exactly what I wanted and it was he that changed my account from 16GB to 24GB and he set up the phones and explained what the charges would be. If the BOGO was only available with an unlimited plan Brandon should have said so and not changed my account to an incompatible, unsupported, expensive configuration.

Why not do it online where you can read the terms and not have to deal with. Not to metnion the upgrade fee is $20 per line not $40. Are you sure it was coprorate store and not a Authorized or Premium retailer? Just because it says Verizon on the building doesn't make it a corporate store

What's weird is that Go unlimteid plan would be chepaer anyway than the 24 GB plan unless you are getting some kind of work discount and how mnay lines you have

0 Likes

mama23dogs
Sr. Leader

AT&T pulled the same thing.  To many conditions on phone deals.  Not worth the stress.  

0 Likes

Community Manager
Community Manager

We never want any of our valuable customers to not get the right information and lose out on a great deal. We certainly want to help in any way we can. 

Since this experience, have you visited the store to update your plan to one of our unlimited plans? If not, we have sent you a Private Message, so we can assist you. Please reply to that message going forward. 

StevenG_VZW

0 Likes

TC12

This exact same thing happened to me in May 2019. I purchased one phone for myself and they told me about the BOGO deal. They never said anything about the requirement to go on the unlimited plan. I let them quote it for me, but my current plan (10GB for $68 after a company discount) is way cheaper and I don't need unlimited at this time. They said fine but that I could still get the BOGO phone. I spoke to 3-4 different reps on the phone and they all said nothing unlimited being a requirement for the BOGO deal. So I purchased the second and added a line. Now three months later when the credits didn't start hitting they're saying unlimited was required. For me to switch now it would take my bill up $40 per month!!!! and conveniently they can't find any records of my phone calls to multiple reps!!!

0 Likes

chkim14cell

Similar BOGO scam happened to me. It was also in Tallahassee.

Are they trained to do this?

My case is

https://community.verizonwireless.com/t5/My-Verizon/BOGO-deal-was-not-a-deal/m-p/1127009

0 Likes

Unless you have a situation like me where you clearly qualify for all of the terms of service, but due to a mistake (by the Verizon employee) setting up the new line (he accidentally added another line, then tied the deal to that line, then deleted it...heavy eyeroll), you are now "ineligible" for the deal. And now nine months later you are still paying for the other phone despite talking to people on 8 separate occasions and continuously explaining the situation over and over and over again. 

Filed a complaint with the BBB...come on guys. 

0 Likes