Highlighted

Asurion has locked my phone and says they own it since I made a claim?

I want to change carriers, but one of my phones is locked.  Verizon says they don’t lock phones, but guess what if you insured your phone through Asurion and happen to have made a claim they tell you they own the replaced phone and you cannot change carriers. Your only option is to buy a new phon from another provider.

Asirion and verizon are gaming subscribers. They should be ashamed.  

Labels (1)
Highlighted

Re: Asurion has locked my phone and says they own it since I made a claim?

Sr. Leader

If you reported the phone lost or stolen, and Asurion replaced it, the lost or stolen phone, if it’s found, is blacklisted, and will remain so. 

Keeping a phone you made an insurance claim on is fraud on your part.

Highlighted

I sent damaged phone back within the allotted time. Asurion outright told me the phone was their property and I cannot change providers.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Sr. Leader

Ddannenbrink wrote:

I sent damaged phone back within the allotted time. Asurion outright told me the phone was their property and I cannot change providers.

Asurion is correct, the phone IS their property and the reason why you were required to send it back.

I'm curious if you sent the phone back, how can you know it is locked. What Asurion normally does is to refurbish the phones they receive back and send them out again as replacements. They don't just have a stockpile of "locked" phones.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Sr. Leader

The REPLACEMENT phone they sent you, is the ONLY phone at issue.  Asurion sends you a replacement, you send back the broken phone.   It’s just like if your car is totaled, you get a check, the car belongs to the insurance company. 

It should be the same phone, and it does have the same lock policy as Verizon’s other phones.  Which unless the original was a prepaid phone (12 month lock policy) is not locked.  

Verizon’s LTE phones are UNLOCKED out of the box, as required by the FCC. 

I don’t know who told you what, but you’re misinformed

With carriers who do lock phones, replacement phones are unlockable if the original was eligible.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Sr. Leader

If you are still paying Verizon for the original phone, you must complete payment plan.  Installments are transferred to the new phone and have always been on your line.  (Cancelation = balance due in full).   

0 Likes
Highlighted

Sr. Leader

mama23dogs wrote:

The REPLACEMENT phone they sent you, is the ONLY phone at issue. Asurion sends you a replacement, you send back the broken phone. It’s just like if your car is totaled, you get a check, the car belongs to the insurance company.

It should be the same phone, and it does have the same lock policy as Verizon’s other phones. Which unless the original was a prepaid phone (12 month lock policy) is not locked.

Verizon’s LTE phones are UNLOCKED out of the box, as required by the FCC.

I don’t know who told you what, but you’re misinformed

With carriers who do lock phones, replacement phones are unlockable if the original was eligible.

I'm not sure if this was directed at me or not, but I wasn't the one with the question. The OP stated "replaced" phone, NOT "replacement" phone. I was speaking about the "replaced" phone which is what the OP wrote in his original post.

i.e. phone is lost or broken. Asurion replaces that phone. The lost/broken phone is the "replaced" phone and is the property of Asurion. The phone sent to the OP from Asurion is the "replacement" phone and is the property of the OP.

While you may believe the "replacement" phone is the ONLY phone at issue, it is not what the OP "said". While it may have been what the OP "meant" I can only go on what is written in these posts. I try not to "assume" facts not in the post.

All that being said, the "replacement" phone is the property of the OP. They should be able to switch providers should they so choose provided the phone is compatible with the new provider and no liens are on it from Verizon.

0 Likes
Highlighted

After speaking to another support person who seemed more knowledgeable, she again stat d that the replacement phone was locked or maybe provisioned to Verizon and only Verizon. There is no way to change that. I asked if this could be escalated and she did so promptly, unlike the previous support person who told there was no escalation process.

After speaking to that person this was escalated to, she gave me a reasonable solution.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Sr. Leader

Really lacking information. Verizon phones are not locked. If you purchased

a non carrier phone, say an unlocked Samsung S 8, direct from Samsung. And

used insurance, Asurion would probably send you a Verizon model as

replacement. The replacement would still be UNLOCKED, as that is Verizon

policy

Unless you paint a more detailed picture, this is the worst game of 20

questions ever.

What phone?

On Wed, Sep 5, 2018, 12:23 PM Ddannenbrink <forums@verizonwireless.com>

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hey.. almost in the same situation. Long story short. Paid full price outright for my iPhone xs max lost it a couple days after I received it on the 21st did a claim via asurion I was sent a locked device when my original phone I lost was factory unlocked, only right I paid full price. Asurion is telling me they have an agreement with verizon to replace phones locked to their carrier only. I repeatedly stated to them this was not an option for me.. they are not really giving me any reasonable options/slotuion.. wondering what did they offer you?

0 Likes