Highlighted

Applying Verizon gift card to phone upgrade

I'll be upgrading my phone soon using the "new" payment plan (previously "Edge" program).  Can I use a Verizon gift card to buy down the cost of the phone to lower the monthly payment?  E.g., if the phone's monthly payment is shown as $25/mo, can I use a $50 gift card at the time I order the new phone to knock ~$2/mo off the forthcoming monthly bills?  If so, is there any trick to getting this set up when ordering?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Highlighted

Re: Applying Verizon gift card to phone upgrade

Not sure what's going on in this forum, but the replies to my post that I was replying to above have disappeared.

I also got a reply (that ALSO didn't show up here for some reason) from a Verizon rep ("NicoleB_VZW") that states that what I had asked about is allowed (i.e., you can do a down payment to reduce the monthly charge, and that you can use a gift card for a down payment.

The only thing left unanswered is how it would be applied when ordering on-line here....

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted

Sr. Leader

On the new Device Payment Plan you cannot pay more than is due monthly unless you are paying it off in one payment.  You can apply the card to the account to reduce the monthly cost of service though.

0 Likes
Highlighted

I'm not talking about applying the gift card to a MONTHLY payment, I'm talking about using it as a "down payment" off the initial cost of the phone.  For example, the Droid Turbo is listed at $480 if you buy it outright, or you can pay $20 per month (because $480 divided by 24 months = $20).   However if a $48 of a  $50 gift card were applied at purchase time, bringing the cost down to $432, the "divide by 24" would go down to $18 per month.  Is that allowed?

I know that under the EDGE plan you could buy down phone cost like this (but don't know if a gift card could be used).  I assume the Device Payment Plan allows it, too -- especially since those who have bad credit are REQUIRED to pay down the cost like that to meet their credit limits.  The quest is: can a GIFT CARD be used for that payment, and if so, how do you set it up.....

0 Likes
Highlighted

Sr. Leader

KeyWestReactor wrote:

I'm not talking about applying the gift card to a MONTHLY payment, I'm talking about using it as a "down payment" off the initial cost of the phone.  For example, the Droid Turbo is listed at $480 if you buy it outright, or you can pay $20 per month (because $480 divided by 24 months = $20).   However if a $48 of a  $50 gift card were applied at purchase time, bringing the cost down to $432, the "divide by 24" would go down to $18 per month.  Is that allowed?

No, it is not.

I know that under the EDGE plan you could buy down phone cost like this (but don't know if a gift card could be used).  I assume the Device Payment Plan allows it, too -- especially since those who have bad credit are REQUIRED to pay down the cost like that to meet their credit limits.  The quest is: can a GIFT CARD be used for that payment, and if so, how do you set it up.....

Gift card cannot be used to pay down the balance owed.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Sr. Leader

Can I pay more than my scheduled monthly device payment installment?

No. The only exceptions to making additional payments are:

• To pay off 100% of your device payment agreement balance.

• For customers on device payment agreements prior to 5/31/15, you may make the required payment to complete your upgrade.
  • Device Payment FAQs | Verizon Wireless
0 Likes
Highlighted

If that FAQ statement is your only basis for your assertion, the jury is still out.  It talks about making "more than my scheduled monthly device payment installment"  As mentioned several times, I'm talking about DOWN PAYMENT, not "monthly installment". 

Anybody else know for sure one way or the other?  I suppose I'll have to make the official call to a customer rep to get a CLEAR answer.....

0 Likes
Highlighted

Sr. Leader

Call Verizon.  The down payment is based on credit decision if there is one.  The whole idea behind the DPP is 24 payments.  You can pay off early, but not more than scheduled.  This is to Verizon's advantage. 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Customer Support

The device payment plan (formerly known as Edge) is a great way to get a new phone KeyWestReactor. Putting that down payment towards the purchase will certainly help bring down the monthly installment payment. Great news! You can use your Verizon Gift Card towards the down payment. That way your monthly payment for the phone is cheaper per month.

NicoleB_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

Highlighted

Not sure what's going on in this forum, but the replies to my post that I was replying to above have disappeared.

I also got a reply (that ALSO didn't show up here for some reason) from a Verizon rep ("NicoleB_VZW") that states that what I had asked about is allowed (i.e., you can do a down payment to reduce the monthly charge, and that you can use a gift card for a down payment.

The only thing left unanswered is how it would be applied when ordering on-line here....

View solution in original post

0 Likes