Apparently fake verizon bill

tinawind

I just received a bill via postal mail at my address with a mispelling of my name claiming its for a new Verizon account & iPhone.

website go.vzw.com

[Personal information removed per Community Terms of Service.]

Asking for payment of course. pretty plausible looking.  Watch out.

0 Likes
3 Solutions

Correct Answers
Highlighted

Re: Apparently fake verizon bill

Ann154
Expert

You might want to find out if your identity was stolen. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Community Manager
Community Manager

We never want anyone to receive a letter like the one you received when they did not start service with us. Please contact our Fraud Department by calling 888-483-7200, choose option 3 within the automated menu. 

They will be able to look up this account and have this addressed for you. 

StevenG_VZW

0 Likes
Highlighted

tinawind

". Please contact our Fraud Department by calling 888-483-7200, choose option 3 within the automated menu. "

That didn't quite work.  I'll try another day from a landline, as I was calling from my actual verizon cell phone, the automated system was very insistent that I either confirm I was calling about my own number, or put in the number I was calling about...at least that let me verify that the phone number on the fake bill isn't active...but I stayed stuck in menu options that weren't relevant...and the closest I was able to select (unauthorized charges) had automated voice tell me to contact my bank and "goodbye"

And yes, a couple weeks after I got this fake verizon bill, I received two actual new credit cards that I had not applied for...with a similar misspelling of my name (very weird that it went to my real address and no charges on it so far...and I was able to get into online access to one, it had my real cell phone ...but someone else's email address).  Doing the whole identity theft reporting, fraud alerts, dealing with credit reporting agencies bit now. 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Ann154
Expert

You might want to find out if your identity was stolen. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

Highlighted

Community Manager
Community Manager

We never want anyone to receive a letter like the one you received when they did not start service with us. Please contact our Fraud Department by calling 888-483-7200, choose option 3 within the automated menu. 

They will be able to look up this account and have this addressed for you. 

StevenG_VZW

0 Likes
Highlighted

tinawind

". Please contact our Fraud Department by calling 888-483-7200, choose option 3 within the automated menu. "

That didn't quite work.  I'll try another day from a landline, as I was calling from my actual verizon cell phone, the automated system was very insistent that I either confirm I was calling about my own number, or put in the number I was calling about...at least that let me verify that the phone number on the fake bill isn't active...but I stayed stuck in menu options that weren't relevant...and the closest I was able to select (unauthorized charges) had automated voice tell me to contact my bank and "goodbye"

And yes, a couple weeks after I got this fake verizon bill, I received two actual new credit cards that I had not applied for...with a similar misspelling of my name (very weird that it went to my real address and no charges on it so far...and I was able to get into online access to one, it had my real cell phone ...but someone else's email address).  Doing the whole identity theft reporting, fraud alerts, dealing with credit reporting agencies bit now. 

0 Likes
Highlighted

tinawind

After receiving the next bill I tried calling again.  Eventually option 3 worked, even though the menu item for it was not logical for reporting fraud, and 20 minutes of mostly being on hold I was told there was already fraud/identity theft associated with the account.  Hopefully that is the end of it...but it is way too hard to figure out how to report this kind of thing to verizon...and automated menu options for trying to report fraud that hang up on you is not helpful.

0 Likes