Anyone else seeing massive data usage spikes lately?

This is now the second time this has happened to us.

First time was ~6 months ago:  Upgraded to a new iPhone, immediately turned off unwanted background syncing, switched almost everything to wifi only.  Added no apps/services that I wasn't already using, yet data usage went through the roof for the next 1-2 bill cycles.

Now, my husband upgraded his Galaxy phone last month, and we're seeing the same thing all over again.  No changes in apps or usage habits, yet we somehow ran through 8GB of data, and now almost 1GB or overage in less than two days??

Considering both of our phones spend half their time on wifi networks, how the hell is it chewing up that much data?  Or is Verizon changing the way it counts data now?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Anyone else seeing massive data usage spikes lately?

Community Manager
Community Manager

@Jetskimoo Making sure your data usage is accurate is important. I'm curious typically what do you both use your devices for? (Specific applications?) Also, did you know you can look at your data utilization tool online to pinpoint where your data is being pulled from. Please use the link provided for additional information about data usage. http://vz.to/2t9j3vS

JoelD_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Anyone else seeing massive data usage spikes lately?

Not sure if you ever figured your data usage issue, but we just experienced the same thing.  I called tech support to do some troubleshooting.  The issue was tied to my husband's phone, and he's not changed his habits, so we were perplexed!  Hunted a bit and found that the majority of the usage was coming from Google News!  I'm assuming that they have added some sort of update to their site that caused continuous synching or streaming of some sort.  Once we turned of the  background data capability for Google News (Not sure how that ever got turned on), it seems to have dropped back to our normal data usage rates.  We normally use less than 4GB a month between us.  This glitch used 7GB within 3 days!! Most (nearly 6GB were on his phone alone!

0 Likes