Highlighted

Added a device and charged data overage

eric21221

I have had service with Verizon for many years. I decided to add another iPhone to my plan. Upon activation of the new phone, my previous plan was prorated as would be expected. However they prorated my usage and my allowance, thereby charging me a $15 overage fee. All while purchasing a new phone on a 2 year contract and paying a $40 activation fee.

I understand prorating, however the store associate never mentioned that this would happen and I am being penalized for adding a line. Had I known this or if the store associate advised me of this, I would have simply waited until the end of my billing cycle.

This is unfair and punishes a loyal customer for expanding their service (and payments) to Verizon. I had a 2GB plan and used less than 1.5gb at the time of the new line addition. I can see if I went over the prorated allowance after the purchase but this was not disclosed nor does it encourage me to add any additional lines. Any chance they'll refund the charge ($15 out of over $5,000 I've paid them to date)? It's not so much the money but the principal of being charged extra to add a line that results in an additional $2,400 in revenue from me for doing so.

I would like this credit from my 6/4 bill or I'll have to seriously consider other options. I've loved Verizon but this plus the activation fee has me feeling very negative toward Verizon.

Labels (1)
0 Likes

Re: Added a device and charged data overage

Community Manager
Community Manager

eric21221,

We appreciate the loyalty that you have shown us! Certainly we don't ever want there to be any discrepancy with the expectations of a new line of service. When prorating charges for lines of service, the allowances will also be prorated, as you are not being billed for a full amount of monthly charges. By your description, there does not seem to be any errors in the billing you received. Certainly no one wants to have to deal with overages, but I strongly recommend double checking your usage alerts and make sure that they are set up correctly. Our system will recongise when a line has been prorated and will adjust usage alerts accordingly. We certainly don't ever want to come off in a negative light and look forward to continuing to provide the wireless service experience you have come to enjoy, for both your line and your new line.

SandyS_VZW Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes

eric21221

The overage was not because of usage once the new line was added, it was because of the prorated portion before the new line was added. I was below my data plan at the time and adding the line caused the overage. My usage alerts were active and I was at less than 50%.

There doesn't appear to be an error because this is how Verizon handles it. Had I known I would have waited until the end of the cycle. The store associate did not inform me that the proration would cause an overage although I was not over at the time.

To be clear, this overage was on the single line and a result of the proration caused by adding a new line. The overage was not applicable to the prorated portion of the plan once both lines were active.

If this cannot be resolved by email, a simple $15 credit for giving Verizon another $2400 for the next 2 years, I'll visit my local store where I got the phone and see if they'll do the right thing.

Thank you for your reply.

Eric

Personal Information removed as required by the

Message was edited by Verizon Moderator

0 Likes

Community Manager
Community Manager

eric21221,

I understand where you are coming from. We certainly wouldn't want your loyalty to us to end due to the prorated charges. I'd like to review the account closer for you. In order to do so we need account information that we can't obtain here in a public forum. I am going to send you a private message so that we can gather that information. Thanks!

ErinW_VZW Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes