Highlighted

2 year contract with Verizon auto-renewed without my consent

sylvalant

Beware Verizon business customers! My original contract was for two years only, and I found out I was charged an early termination fee for disconnecting at the end of year three. Verizon told me they auto-renewed my contract in 2017 and that there was a roughly one or two month period to opt out at the start of 2017. None of this was communicated to me in advance at the start of my contract (signed up over the phone), any of the phone calls with them, or any letter specifically sent out to inform me. They told me it was communicated to me in the fine print of a few bills they sent to me and that I should've opted out then. First of all, we open our bills to find out how much we need to pay, not to read through every piece of information in every bill. If you ACTUALLY wanted to let your customers know that you'd communicate that in a separate letter or phone call. More importantly, FORCIBLY PLACING A CUSTOMER INTO A NEW CONTRACT AND THEN LOW-KEY GIVING THE OPTION TO OPT OUT IS NOT CONSENT. 

I think I'm going to start posting this in other sites to warn others about Verizon's dishonest practices. In the mean time, if Verizon wants to make it up to me I'm open for discussion. Please don't delete this post in an attempt to cover up. I've already video captured it and it will only make things worse.

Anyone else in the same boat?

Labels (1)
0 Likes

Re: 2 year contract with Verizon auto-renewed without my consent

Ann154
Expert

Did you change to a loyalty plan around the time the contract term was renewed?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes

rcschnoor
Sr. Leader

2 yr service contracts don't take effect without purchasing a discounted device. They don't "auto-renew".

Not sure what you mean by "signed up over the phone". What were you signing up for over the phone?

0 Likes

sylvalant

Ann154 About two or three months after my first contract expired, I called Verizon about the price increase and considered switching providers. They offered me a $15 discount on my monthly bill to keep me as a customer. It might be a loyalty discount. Absolutely nothing about a contract renewal was mentioned.

rcschnoor​ After the end of my first contract, I didn't purchase anything. That my contract auto renewed was told to me by a Verizon rep a few days ago. Nothing was said about it being a result of me purchasing anything.

What were you signing up for over the phone?

My initial two year contract with verizon

Do Verizon forum support only participate in question threads? Or are they just avoiding my thread because they realize this is normal occurance?

0 Likes

Ann154
Expert

This is primarily a peer to peer public community forum and not a direct link to Customer Service. While there are VZW reps that roam this community, it isn't guaranteed they will respond and it can take a few days before they do.

A $15 discount on your bill to keep you as a customer. Yep, that sounds like a loyalty plan and from personal experience I know the loyalty plans also include at least a one year contract as part of the terms of the plan.

Why did your bill increase after the original contract term expiration? Which plan did you have?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

sylvalant

Ann154​ I'm not sure, but the rep I was talking to made no reference to the loyalty plan or discount in telling me why my contract renewed. Even if that was what happened, other providers gave loyalty discounts without secretly putting their customers into new contracts with early termination fee. It would still be a shady thing to do considering Verizon never got my consent for the new contract either way.

My original 2 year contract had a two year fixed price guarantee. Forgot the name of it, but it had phone and internet bundle for $65 + taxes and fees. What matters is that no one disputed that the original contract was for 2 years only and nothing was said about it automatically renewing it was too late.

Yeah, at this point I'm not surprised Verizon reps on the forum haven't responded. I'm fine with leaving this as a warning to other Verizon customers. That was the original point of this thread anyway.

0 Likes

Ann154
Expert

sylvalant wrote:

My original 2 year contract had a two year fixed price guarantee. Forgot the name of it, but it had phone and internet bundle for $65 + taxes and fees. What matters is that no one disputed that the original contract was for 2 years only and nothing was said about it automatically renewing it was too late.

Wait. That description sounds more like a landline service bundle from Verizon Residential or Fios and not a Verizon Wireless plan. What kind of services was this for? Don't you have access to copies of your bills from that time?

Verizon Wireless contracts automatically switch to a month to month contract and generally don't change the price unless the line access fee discount is removed from the bill if that was in the terms of the agreement.

0 Likes

TOMMLY67

Wow this just happened to me, what a bunch of scum bags. They hide the fact that they renew it in the bill which no one ever checks and then say you can't get out of it. How can that be legal? This will likely be a class action suite in a few years time.

0 Likes

rcschnoor
Sr. Leader

TOMMLY67 wrote:

Wow this just happened to me, what a bunch of scum bags. They hide the fact that they renew it in the bill which no one ever checks and then say you can't get out of it. How can that be legal? This will likely be a class action suite in a few years time.

Why wait? IF you have a valid claim, you would get a bigger payout AND sooner if you simply file a small claims case in your local jurisdiction, EVEN if class actions were allowed against your cellular carrier.

Why you can't sue your wireless carrier in a class action - CNET

0 Likes

TOMMLY67

Hmm, yeh I was wondering if I can just small claims court them preemptivly before they commence with making my life miserable over the 700$ dollars they claim I owe them.

What do I sue them for, to release me from the contract I never agreed to?

0 Likes