Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get it fast with In-store & curbside pickup or same day delivery.
16 year old tricked into Edge program
verizonh8tr

Word to the wise, if your underage, non account manager son happens into a Verizon store, he will be swindled into changing your plan and costing you hundreds.

My 16 year old went into a Verizon store as he was eligible to upgrade his phone.  He wanted to pay the $200 upgrade fee and keep everything else the same.

The salesman had him illegally enter into a contract for the Edge program which financed the phone over 36 months and cost me $750.  He also changed our data plan and significantly increased our bill.

A 16 year old is statutorily excluded from entering into any contract with anyone, at any time.  In addition, he was not listed as an account manager.

Calls to Verizon have yielded no results.

It appears to be time for Attorney General intervention.

Shame on you Verizon for taking advantage of a child and expecting no repercussions.  You got the wrong kid this time

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: 16 year old tricked into Edge program
Ann154
Expert

Your 16 year old apparently knew the billing password and other information of the account owner to get the whole purchase processed.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Weth
Sr. Leader

Did you give permission to go into the store to do the upgrade? It doesn't matter if it was the $200 upgrade or Edge plan, both are new contracts if you were giving permission for a 16 year old to enter into a new contract.

Regardless, the whole idea that Verizon let a 16 year old enter into any agreement is a concern in itself.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Edge does not have 36 month financing. Edge is actually cheaper if your plan is 10 GB or more. About the same if it's under 10 GB.

mchalco

I was in a similar situation with a rep who signed me up for edge without fully disclosing what the plan was about. In your case since he is a minor you may be more successful than me but i was told "well you signed the document" and "you may want to talk to a lawyer" thats good old verizon for you

0 Likes
mchalco

its not saving money when you pay 700 dollars for a phone that only costs 200.

0 Likes
Weth
Sr. Leader

You are not seeing the whole picture.

With Edge, $700 phone but you get a $15 or $25 per month reduction in the access fee. That is $600 right there if you have 10 GB or more data plan. So you can see if you save $600 dollars in access fees, that $700 is now $100, which is better than $200 plus $30 upgrade fee.

When you actually figure out how much you pay out over the 24 months, anon_0001 is correct that Edge actually ends up saving you money.

Also keep in mind these phones do actually cost $700, the $200 is a subsidized price - subsidized by charging you $25 more per month!

rcschnoor
Sr. Leader

scenario #1:

verizonh8tr wrote:

My 16 year old went into a Verizon store as he was eligible to upgrade his phone.  He wanted to pay the $200 upgrade fee and keep everything else the same.

From your post, it seems as if you would have been happy had your son entered into THIS contract.

scenario #2:

verizonh8tr wrote:

The salesman had him illegally enter into a contract for the Edge program which financed the phone over 36 months and cost me $750.  He also changed our data plan and significantly increased our bill.

From your post, it seems as if you are angry your son instead entered into THIS contract instead of the 1st contract. Additionally, the Edge plan finances the phone over 24 months, not 36 months, but this has already been pointed out.

Your argument:

verizonh8tr wrote:

A 16 year old is statutorily excluded from entering into any contract with anyone, at any time.  In addition, he was not listed as an account manager.

From your post, it seems you should be questioning why your son was going into a Verizon store in the first place in order to enter into a contract! If one contract was illegal for him, so was the other. Why would your son think he should be there to purchase a phone upgrade, unless you had given him permission? Furthermore, one would wonder HOW he was able to do so unless you had provided him with either the billing password, last 4 digits of YOUR SS# or given verbal permission to Verizon over the phone.

As to whether or not a full priced phone saves you money over a discounted phone, we can't tell unless we know more about which plan you have in effect on your account. In some cases it will save you money, in others it will not. Without information about your current/old plan, we can't tell.

0 Likes
verizonh8tr

Actually, I am not happy that he entered into any contract. If he had spent his own $200 got a new phone and did not materially affect my contract terms, then this would be more of an issue between him and I.

The fact is that he was allowed to alter my plan and phone subsidy liability while being underage.  As for him having the password, etc., lets just say I had used the same password for other nonessential services such as Netflix.  A mistake? - perhaps, but certainly no excuse to allow this to happen.

Furthermore, once this was brought to light by Verizon, it should have been remedied regardless of the situation.

<< Edited by Verizon Moderator to comply with Verizon Wireless Terms of Service >>

0 Likes
Not applicable

verizonh8tr wrote:

Actually, I am not happy that he entered into any contract. If he had spent his own $200 got a new phone and did not materially affect my contract terms, then this would be more of an issue between him and I.

You only get a phone for $200 if you're getting subsidized discount which requires a 2 year contract. That contract has a ETF if that lines ends service before 2 years. The ETF starts at $350. Since you are the account owner you would be liable for that $350. So that certainly does have an affect on you.

Also how does HIS Edge agreement make YOUR bill higher? Have him pay that potion of the bill.

0 Likes