Highlighted

$10 iPhone Promo Nightmare

mark0417

Okay, to share my nightmare:

On 12/19 I saw the "$10 a month for a new iPhone 7" promo.  Unfortunately, my upgrade date wasn't until early January.  So I called 611 and asked if there was any way for me to get the promotion.  I was told, "Sure, no problem!  You're a long time customer so I'll give you an early upgrade and get you into the promotion!"  Awesome, right?  Wellll......

A lot happened between then and now.  Sadly, my iPhone was stolen by someone with the shipping carrier in transit.  This led to Verizon and the carrier having to work on a claim for the stolen phone, which took a long, long time.  Once the claim finally got completed and Verizon could ship my replacement phone, the original promotion has expired.  "No worries," I was told by the Verizon rep, "we'll just complete this form and that will put you into the promotion you originally signed up for."  He said it would take a few billing cycles for the credit to show up, but that's standard, so no biggie.  Awesome, right?  Wellll.......

That was January.  Now that it's May, I contacted Verizon asking where my credit was.  I told that it turns out that because the original rep gave me an early upgrade I was NOT actually eligible for the promotion in the first place.  I was dumbfounded.  What?!?  I explained to them that I didn't call asking for an upgrade, I called saying I wanted to get that promotion, and the early upgrade was their solution.  I was basically told, well, they shouldn't have told you that. 

They said the best they could offer was a one-time credit for 1/2 of the original promotion value.

This is absolutely crazy!  Does anyone know what can be done to make this right?  The ONLY reason I upgraded was to get the $10 a month price.  I feel terribly misled and mistreated by Verizon.

Mark

Labels (1)
Tags (1)

Re: $10 iPhone Promo Nightmare

Community Manager
Community Manager

mark0417, we certainly don’t want you to feel misled or mistreated by us. I am sorry to learn of the misinformation provided by the first representative regarding the promotional offer. As a gesture of good faith I am glad to see that ½ of the promotional credit was offered. Did you accept this offer?

TionnaB_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes

mark0417

I accepted it because something is better than nothing, but what I really want is for Verizon to honor the promotion I signed up for.  Being on a budget, the credit is nice, but the reason I signed up for the promo in the first place was to only have to deal with a $10 a month Device Purchase Agreement.

What kills me is that because of the whole phone-got-stolen-by-the-shipper thing, I talked to about 5 different Verizon reps, all of whom assured me I was locked in for the $10 promotion.  And I have to wonder, if the phone had never been stolen, and thus the special form never had to be submitted, would everything have worked just fine.

So now I'm stuck paying $17 more a month than I agreed to.  Definitely not a ringing endorsement for Verizon's promotions.....

mark0417

Oh my goodness!  I just scrolled through the Device Payment posts and Verizon!  You guys have a problem!  Post after post of your customers who signed up for these free and discounted phone promotions and are getting every excuse in the book for why you guys won't honor them now.

You guys need to FIX THIS.  Not just for me but for all these folks who you're giving the run around to.  I can't speak for them, but if this keeps up I don't care how fantastically amazing your network is, I'll have to go elsewhere.

I want my $10 a month deal!

Mark

0 Likes

808ST8ofMind

I was promised the same promotional deal and had the same thing happen to me.  I just got off the phone with VZ customer service and was told something similar that I wasn't eligible for the promotional deal.  I'm [Removed] because I was misled and the only reason I did the upgrades was because of the deal.  Then the past few months when I called to inquire about when my account will be credited and reflect the promo deal promised I'm informed to just wait it takes a 3-4 billing cycles for everything to kick in.  Now tonight I find out that I will not be getting the promotional deal and that I'm going to have to pay full price.  I'm very disappointed with Verizon misleading its loyal customers and not honoring the deal promised.  I will fight this battle until the end and make them walk the talk.  Please keep me posted with any further resolutions.

Respectfully,

KP

inappropriate content removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

0 Likes

mark0417

From mine and KP's experience, plus reading post after post of this kind of thing on the forums, here's where I think Verizon went very, very wrong:

Look, we're all grown ups and we know that promotions come with restrictions and whatnot and that not everyone can get every promo.  HOWEVER, a lot of us are making the decision to upgrade based on these promotions (for example, maybe I would have kept my 5s rather than pay $27 DPA a month).  Verizon needs to put all their checks and verifications UP FRONT when we try and sign up.  It is absolutely unconscionable that Verizon is letting us sign up for these promotions then "taking it back" 4 months later.  That's not how you guys should be doing business.  If we can't have the promotion for whatever obscure fine print reason, tell us when we first sign up for it.  Then we can make an informed decision.

As it stands, because you DIDN'T do this, Verizon, I believe you should honor these promotions.

Mark

0 Likes

Your posting totally resonated with me. I got the moto Droid play z on a $5 per month promotion. But before upgrading I asked Verizon support, will I get the promo, they answered affirmatively. So just in case I took a picture of the promo. Then I upgraded with the assurance each month from a different service costumer rep that it WILL apply and I just needed to wait. Well, 4 months are up and still nothing. I called last week and suddenly I hear "that promo only applies to new lines. But I'll follow up with you tomorrow."... No followup. Then I call again and they give a less desirable offer. Hey it's better than nothing, I say, "OK, can I call you next week to verify that it will go through?" they say "I'll follow up with you on Tuesday..." That was today, and again, nothing. I am starting to feel like customer service reps are just telling you what you want to hear to get good ratings because nothing has been resolved. We are adults and are not dumb. I suspected this would potentially end as a bait and switch. I just want the promo I signed up for or a full refund so I can go back to my old phone. The promo is the reason I got the phone in the first place and if it's too confusing for customers, let alone Verizon customer support maybe Verizon should rethink their promo offerings in order to build a better reputation for honoring their word.

0 Likes

Community Manager
Community Manager

This is never the experience that we want you to have when dealing with our Customer Care Team, Nielsen.Markus11. We would like to submit feedback on the members that assisted you and did not provide a call back and also look into our promotion that is available. Did you contact our Rebate Team for your promotion? You can reach them at 800-457-0864 from 8AM to 7PM CST.

JoshuaT_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the Correct Answer button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes

KINDEL21

The same thing happened to me and it is September!!! I called and they were trying to take off my trade in amout. This had been a mess!!!!

0 Likes

Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm sorry to learn you experienced problems with the trade in promotion, KINDEL21. Was this resolved when you contacted customer service?

AndreaS_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes