Will my device work in Europe?
daisysdad
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have a MotoX Pure and when I called VZ before I left I was told there was no data option for it,  but that it should automatically connect to a local network and that I could make high-priced calls.  I have the settings on "Automatically choose preferred network", "Global", etc. but I get no joy.  I can use Hangouts for WiFi calling but would also like to have the ability to make calls when WiFi isn't available, even if I don't use it.  Do I need to get a SIM card for my traveling? (That would show recipients a different phone#, correct?)  Is my problem phone-specific?  Would a Pixel7 work?  Thanks in advance for any help.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Should my phone work in Europe?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You need an international plan on your line either the monthly plan or Travel Pass. Otherwise you may have an expensive roaming bill.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

daisysdad, we know how important it is for your device to work while out of the country. It is accurate that if you get an international SIM card, it will show up as a different number when you make a call. You should be able to make calls by dialing +1 and the 10 digit phone number. To get the + (plus sign) you'll want to press and hold 0. Make sure that you enable data roaming by going to Settings>More>Mobile networks>Global data roaming access>allow access for all trips. Once you update that, you'll want to power the phone off and back on. Let us know if you still have trouble once updating the settings.

La'SindaT_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
daisysdad
Enthusiast - Level 3

I kind of understood about a new SIM card, but my question was about whether my phone should work as is (for voice & text but not necessarily data), which is what Verizon support told me before I left.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You need an international plan on your line either the monthly plan or Travel Pass. Otherwise you may have an expensive roaming bill.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We understand. You would need to contact the manufacturer of the device.

0 Likes
daisysdad
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you

0 Likes