Stuck in reboot loop after software update
mrtwoarms

I finally received notification this morning that the software update for my Moto X was available. I started the install process, and my phone has been stuck in a reboot loop for the past 1.5 hours. Help?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Stuck in reboot loop after software update
normoushoward
Enthusiast - Level 2

Make sure you download the proper drivers and RSD Lite, and the restore image. Follow the steps in the forum. In the forum, they tell you to do "adb reboot bootloader," which doesn't work, since our phones are rebooting immediately. But if you take the first step from the guy above: "1. With the phone powered off, press the VOL DOWN KEY for 2-3 seconds then POWER key then release." It will take you into the bootloader. Then your phone should show up in RSD Lite, in which you just hit "start" and it will factory reset your phone.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
skibrianski

me too. the phone is up for a few seconds before rebooting so i've been trying to rush in to the settings menu and do a factory wipe. i've hit the button a few times but i don't think it took.

is there a way to initiate a factory reset from the bootloader? when i choose recovery it seems to just put my phone in safe mode, which reboots too.

0 Likes
gregh145
Enthusiast - Level 3

Has there been any modifications to the stock software before you installed the update? You may need to boot into recovery and perform the factory wipe from there.

0 Likes
normoushoward
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm having the same issue. Let me know if you figure anything out.

0 Likes
mrtwoarms

I've booted into recovery multiple times now, the reboot loop continues and I can't navigate fast enough to force the update or a reset or anything.

0 Likes
gregh145
Enthusiast - Level 3

Did it reboot to recovery by itself or did you power down and do the manual procedure? Too be sure we are on the same page recovery should show you a Android robot with a red mark on it.

0 Likes
skibrianski

When I try to boot to recovery, I'm not seeing an Android robot with a red mark on it. I get a prompt to decrypt storage (my phone is encrypted, which may be related), and then a the normal android OS comes up for a few seconds before rebooting on me automatically.

The phone encryption I refer to is that available via Settings -> Security on newer android phones. This means I always get a password prompt before Android comes up. Perhaps Verizon didn't test this case? mrtwoarms, do you have phone encryption enabled too?

0 Likes
gregh145
Enthusiast - Level 3

If you don't see recovery that is where the issue likely is. Your device cannot update without accessing the stock recovery. Try these steps to access Android recovery and let me know how it goes

1. With the phone powered off, press the VOL DOWN KEY for 2-3 seconds then POWER key then release.

2. The device will display different BOOT OPTIONS

3. Use the VOL DOWN Key to SCROLL to Recovery and VOL UP Key to select

4. The device will display the Motorola logo and then the Android in distress ( logo with Exclamation mark)

5. Press and hold the VOL UP key for 10-15 seconds. While still holding the VOL UP key tap and release the POWER key

6. The device will display additional menu options (Text will appear in BLUE)

7. Use the VOL DOWN Key to scroll to Wipe data / factory reset and the POWER Key to select this option

8. Use the VOL DOWN key again to select YES - delete all user data and press the POWER key to CONFIRM

9. Once the Formatting is complete, press the POWER key to confirm a REBOOT

10. The device will reboot and start the normal power up sequence

0 Likes
normoushoward
Enthusiast - Level 2

Selecting recovery would just boot the phone into normal mode for me. I ended using this method to restore the phone using RSD Lite. It's a shame that my phone had to be wiped for a software update. Nice work guys.

Link removed for rooting discussion as required by the Terms of Service.

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

0 Likes
gregh145
Enthusiast - Level 3

This only happens of your phone was rooted. RSD is the only option for fixing that at the moment. Plenty of articles and warnings on xda about this. I didn't want to dive into mentioning xda at first for forum reasons. Happy flashing!

0 Likes