moto G6 SD card forgotten, other issues
csteacher

A few days ago, I kept getting a message that a com.facebook.???? wasn't running correctly. I tried to wait several times, but kept getting it. I forced it close. My texts started acting up. I couldn't send RCS texts (chats). It might have been related to wifi, but I'm not sure. I restarted several times and powered off/on too. Then, the most frustrating thing happened. My 128gb SD card wouldn't read. It kept asking me to reinsert it. Eventually, just to get my phone back to normal I had to "forget" it. I lost a bunch of data and apps. Everything that was critical was backed up, but then I was too short on storage to run the apps stored locally, so more apps had to go. I now have 50% of the apps that I once had and my phone is still not acting correctly.

I'm planning on replacing it in a couple months anyways, but does anyone have any ideas on what I can do (short of a factory reset) to make this thing act normal again and/or recognize the SD card?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: moto G6 SD card forgotten, other issues
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We are sorry to hear about the many issues that you've mentioned. Not being able to get your device back to normal operation can be frustrating. To clarify, when this started were there any newly installed applications on your phone prior to this happening? Do you have any applications installed on the SD card as well? 

0 Likes
csteacher

I just got a eufy smart scale, so I installed the eufylife app to go with it. I also installed the google fit app. I did have apps on the SD card, but had to remove them and several others. The phone has lost a good deal of its functionality.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you, csteacher. When you run the device in safe mode, does the device perform better?

PeterP_VZW

0 Likes
csteacher

I have not run it in safe mode. It seems to be running fine now, but it will not recognize my SD card. I still only have half the apps I did a week ago. Is there anything I can do to make the phone recognize the SD card again?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We appreciate the details. Please run the device in Safe Mode, and share your results. CourtneyM_VZW

0 Likes
csteacher

I appreciate your help, truly I do, but why are you assuming I know how to do that? I've booted android devices into safe mode before, but I don't remember how to do it. Part of my increasing amount of frustration with this situation is the amount of time, thought, and energy I'm having to devote to a hypothetically possible solution. From my limited understanding of these devices, safe mode shouldn't have much to do with recognizing the SD card. And since I've already told the phone to forget the card, I don't think it will recognize it in safe mode. I know you represent verizon and not Motorola (or android), but this terrible experience is the straw to break the camels back and send me from android to an iphone when the 12 comes out.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

csteacher,

I apologize for that assumption being made. We want to make sure we're always providing the information you need to find a solution. I'm glad to clarify a few things and help figure this out.

What safe mode does is run the phone in a mode where nothing you have added to the phone is recognized. It is almost like doing a full factory reset, except it doesn't actually erase anything so when you leave safe mode everything comes back. Because of that, it can help us test a lot of what a reset will test, without having you lose everything on the device to do it. There are a lot of things which could cause what you're describing. A bad app or something bad being installed on the device is definitely one of them so trying safe mode makes sense. You can find the steps to do this at https://www.verizon.com/support/knowledge-base-217744/#:~:text=Approximately%202%2D3%20seconds%20aft... 

It also could be an SD card going bad, which might have nothing to do with the phone itself. Or it could be the port on the phone going bad. There are a lot of possibilities here and we're trying to rule them out so we can get you back to having the functionality you need. You're right that we don't represent any specific manufacturer, we support customers with all of them and we wouldn't discourage you from switching if you think another phone will make you happier. I'd keep in mind though that iPhones don't have even the option for SD cards, so while this couldn't happen, it is only because the entire option has been removed from the equation.

AndrewT_VZW

0 Likes