Re: Z3 randomnly shutting off
Falconious

Zero damage to the phone

0 Likes
Mcd2796

I've been having the same issue for the past couple weeks. Today my phone shut down on me 4 times. I've also noticed that when the flash for the camera is on it also shuts off. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Mcd2796, having a phone that constantly reboots can be frustrating. The next thing we would want to do is a Factory Reset on the device. Please backup your content the Cloud or hard drive/compute, and see if the issue persists.   EricaG_VZW

0 Likes
No_more_Moto
Enthusiast - Level 2

My first Z3 did this.  It was replaced in December and the replacement started doing it today.  The tech coach (Jonathon) said that it's a known issue and recommended a factory reset and restore.  That's a terrible solution.  Takes forever and it's only a matter of time before the phone starts shutting down again.

Has anyone at Verizon, besides Jonathon, or at Motorola acknowledged this and come up with a solution?

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We are sorry to hear that this is an issue with your device. I would feel the same if my phone were shutting off at random times as well. With regard to this issue has there been any recent updates on your phone? Does it shut off when operating a specific application? JasperM_VZW

0 Likes
IHaveACockatiel
Enthusiast - Level 1

Been having this issue. Often happens when the battery is below 55%. No damage to the phone whatsoever. It usually shuts off when I open the camera and try to take a picture, which is incredibly annoying. I factory reset the phone for a different reason (nothing was able to be downloaded and I couldn't access my gallery as a result), but it happened quite often before the reset as well.

Basically, factory resetting does nothing and it happens on safe mode as well. What do?

Edit: I always update my phone as soon as an update is available, so this has been happening on multiple software versions, including the most recent one.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want your phone to work properly for you, IHaveACockatiel. We are here to help. researching this issue with Motorola, we see that they have a suggestion to fix this issue.

Hearing that this happens when your phone has less than 55% battery life, would point to the battery needing to be recalibrated. To do this Motorola suggests to hold the power button until it reboots, then plug the phone into the charger, charge to 100% and leave it on the charger to charge for an additional hour. This is supposed to help reset and calibrate the battery.

StevenG_VZW

0 Likes
Re: Did you get issue resolved? I have same issue
Murphy8260
Enthusiast - Level 1

No This phone is a piece of dirt

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Murphy8260,

This is never the sentiment we want you feeling about your device. Can you describe what is happening with your device, and how long it's been going on?

ColinH_VZW

0 Likes
biggsrf58
Enthusiast - Level 1

You can add my Z3 to the list of  those that are shutting down.  It seems every time a reply is added to this issue a different customer reps replies with the same suggestions. 

Yes, my phone is up to date.  Yes, I have tried it in safe mode. Yes, I have tried the Motorola suggestion for charging/balancing the battery. Yes, this has been going on for 2 - 3 months. Yes, it is totally random.  It shut down this morning with 87% power and the battery mod still at 100%.  It has sometimes lasted down to 35% power and the battery mod at 0%. It will not restart without either waiting about 5 to 10 minutes or plugging it in for just a few seconds.