YouTube app not streaming properly
jyaeger0789
Enthusiast - Level 2

Phone: Moto Z2 Play
SKU: XT1710-02
Android Version: 8.0.0
Mobile Network type: 4G = -112dBm as well as various Wi-Fi (home, work, public)
Data enabled: checked/on
Preferered network type: Global (though issue persists regardless of option, I've tried each setting)

For the last couple of months the YouTube app on my phone is essentially non-functioning.
Whether on Wi-Fi (any of the above mentioned connections with OR without network) or just on network upon opening the YouTube app everything loads fine (front page refreshed, app responds when clicking around the interface, no base issues). Upon selecting a video to watch, as per the platform, an ad will load and play per the norm (seemingly at 360p or above given buffer time and connection type); however, upon access to the video (all videos, various channels) the app will continue to auto set the resolutions to 144p and basically become non-functioning. It at most will load 5 seconds of play back at a time before being stuck in what feels like a cycle of wait 5-10 minutes for 5 seconds of play back; again, this is occurring for an inbound 144p resolution regardless of video length.
This particular issue ONLY applies to the YouTube app as everything else runs fine and optimized with HD playback (Twitch, VRV, Roku, Spectrum, etc... EVEN YOUTUBE VIA FIREFOX/CHROME BROWSER RUNS FINE!).
Does anyone have this same issue or any insight to solving what my possible problem is?

Things already attempted:
1• Clearing the YouTube App cache AND data
2• Subsequently unistalling the YouTube app, followed by reinstallation
3• Performing step 1, clearing the Google Play Store cache and data, clearing the YouTube App cache AND data, unistalling the YouTube app, followed by reinstallation

The only possible triggering event that I can think of is a trip to Italy where I switched network data off to avoid roaming charges for messages and calls.

Please help best you can.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: YouTube app not streaming properly
mama23dogs
Legend

Did you check in the YouTube app itself for the settings? YouTube settings can prevent YouTube from playing over cellular data, or limit the resolution

0 Likes
jyaeger0789
Enthusiast - Level 2

YouTube>Settings>About:
App version - 14.40.52

YouTube>Settings>General:
Limit mobile data usage - not engaged

The issue that plagues my phone is that no matter the method of connecting to data, ONLY the YouTube app is doing this. As stated previously, every single app but this streams 720 and above pretty much flawlessly, even YouTube.com within a browser. The issue with going through the browser is loss of UI from the app, making streaming more of a chore than it should be.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

jyaeger0789, we appreciate the helpful information you provided and for everything you've done on your end. I use the YouTube app daily, so I can understand how inconvenient it is for you to experience issues with your YouTube app. You mentioned that you disabled Data Roaming while you were in Italy. Did you enable Data Roaming now that you are back in the U.S.? I would like you to check the settings of the YouTube app. Please open the YouTube app and go to Settings > General > Limit data usage. Enable and disable, limit data usage. Also, have you tried opening a new YouTube account, to see if doing so will resolve the issue? If none of this helps, the last thing you would need to do is a factory reset after you've backed up your phone to avoid losing your data. https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-212927/ Before you Factory reset your phone, I would recommend contacting YouTube. You can copy and paste the information you've provided and email it to ytandroid-support@google.com Please let us know if the details I've shared helped.

JacobV_VZW

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Have you tried deleting the app and then re-installing?

0 Likes
jyaeger0789
Enthusiast - Level 2

yeah...
see the section "things already attempted"...
the reason im posting here is because basic deductive reasoning has eluded me...

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Jyaeger0789, were you able to review the post from us above and try those steps?

TakendraW_VZW

0 Likes