Re: You are unable to receive a text message due to a device restriction or insufficient funds
breezey38
Enthusiast - Level 1

This is to notify you that the person you blocked on the VZ website has attempted to text.  

The fact VZ cannot answer this sad.  I called and they told me my phone # was mirrored.  

I just blocked a # again on the VZ website and this same text came through.  I am most certain that VZ decided, A person blocks someone so you aren't notified but notifies you anyway.  

Samsung Galaxy 9

Re: You are unable to receive a text message due to a device restriction or insufficient funds
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We never want you to feel this way breezey38, and we want to help in any way that we can. I want to clarify what the issue is so that we can assist. Are you having an issue with a blocked contact? Is this regarding a blocked contact on your phone?

RosanneM_VZW

0 Likes
MKamp
Enthusiast - Level 2

This is a very simple concept Verizon.  Breezey38 is correct -- If a customer blocks a number using Verizon's free blocking service, every time the blocked contact attempts to text the person who has the block in place -- Verizon generates a text message back to the customer's phone number stating "You are unable to receive a text message due to a device restriction or insufficient funds"  Well, IMHO sending a text to notify the person who initiated the block that the blocked contact was attempting to contact them is as asinine as allowing the blocked person's text to go through. Who at Verizon dreamed up this stupidity anyway? And of course Verizon won't allow a customer to block their own number so there is no way to stop the texts. Customer service acts totally uninformed when a customer calls to complain just like the canned message I'll receive to this post.

flyliz
Enthusiast - Level 2

@MKamp your comments are spot-on.

@vzw_customer_support would you please give us some insight into what is happening here? I am also having the problem described on this thread and it is a real pain in the neck. It is of no value to me to receive a notification message every time a blocked caller/texter tries to message me. If that is going to be the routine, then there's no reason to bother blocking someone. 

And, if you are going to send these useless notifications anyway, then would you please differentiate the cases that are blocked due to insufficient funds from the ones that are blocked due to a messaging restriction? Those are two different issues and I'd like to know which one is applicable every time I receive one of these confusing alerts, if you are going to send such alerts at all.

Thanks.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

flyliz, we know how much of a nuisance it can be to be in receipt of those message. It is a wonder why some are in receipt of the message while others who use the same blocking methods do not receive them when a blocked user attempts to message them. How did you block the number:  call filter, SmartFamily, Call & Message Block or via your phone's block option? What is the make and model of your phone? What is the current OS/iOS version?

EbonyR_VZW

0 Likes
flyliz
Enthusiast - Level 2
Thanks for your note, Ebony.

Samsung Galaxy S10.

Android version 10.

I'm using the "block" feature through My Verizon here: https://myvpostpay.verizonwireless.com/ui/acct/secure/blocks#/

BTW, is it possible that the spammer whose number I blocked from calling or texting me or leaving me voicemail messages may have discovered that their text messages to me were blocked, so now they've hacked some way to "spoof" me as SMS sender and they (not Verizon) are actually sending these messages that appear to be from myself? Just wondering.

Thanks.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

That is a great question. They wouldn't be able to spoof this specific message. Do you have Smart Family active on your account?

EllisandraC_VZW

0 Likes
Gnorton52
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm having the same issue and have yet to see a solution!;

TigerLilly7
Enthusiast - Level 1

Did anyone figure this out??  I don't believe the Verizon Tech Help could even figure out the very clear question stated.  

I have been getting the texts also.  But when I get them, they come in three's.  Does that mean that I am special and I win the prize?

I have blocked numerous numbers in the past and have never had an issue like this.  

Same blocking method..

0 Likes
flyliz
Enthusiast - Level 2

@TigerLilly7 , @Gnorton52 , and others: I think you each deserve a prize just for posting here. 🙂

I did talk with a Verizon tech support rep who said he thinks these odd text messages are sent by spammers who wanted to send text messages to us and then discovered somehow through their systems that we have blocked delivery of messages from them -- so they then send messages to us that appear to have been sent by us/ourselves with this weird content. According to the support rep I talked with, the spammers are operating under the theory that we would become so frustrated receiving these odd self-messages over and over again that we would unblock the spammers' numbers to make these weird self-messages stop, then the spammers would be able to resume spamming us the content that they actually wish to deliver.

The support rep also said if these messages were actually from Verizon, they would not appear to be from us/ourselves and they would probably start with "VZW FREE MSG" or something like that. 

I'm skeptical of the tech support rep's theory but at the moment I don't have a better theory.

Does anyone?

Thanks.