Windows 10 can't get network settings (hot spot won't work)
efarm

ISSUE: My Verizon MotoZ4(2) 5708 hotspot displays on my Windows 10 computers as an available network but after entering its password I get “Windows can’t get the network setting from the router.” On the phone I go to the hotspot, manage allowed devices, limit 10, allow all devices is grayed out, none appear, I try to add allowed devices, I enter the requested MAC address (for the HP desktop B0-35-9F-DE-BA-D4; or Dell laptop AC-72-89-CS-6E) and “cancel” is the only working option – “OK” is grayed out. Would like to activate the "all" devices choice. How do I get around this or is there another solution to getting beyond “Windows can’t…”? Have tried the online suggestions, chat, Verizon and beyond. Motorola says talk to Verizon. David

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Windows 10 can't get network settings (hot spot won't work)
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello efarm,

I'm sorry you're getting an error message when trying to connect. To assist you, I would suggest removing the network name from the list of saved networks and then try to reconnect. From Microsoft:

Go to settings->Network &Internet->Wi-Fi->Manage Known networks->forget.

Try to add the network again, at that point. Please let me know how it goes, thank you. 

ChristinaB_VZW

0 Likes
efarm

Did the forget for the only network, HughesNet, and tried to add allowed device, entered MAC address (though I'd rather just get back to the all devices activation choice) with the same result - only active (dark green) choice is cancel - OK is grayed out.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for trying that. Are you able to connect your Mobile Hotspot to other devices?

EllisandraC_VZW

0 Likes
efarm

To be clear, I'm doing this on the phone not the computer. Right?

0 Likes
efarm

Nothing else to try - just an HP all in one desktop and a Dell notebook - both running Windows 10 - both with same result. Never had this problem with old phone. It really seems to be that the allow section of the phone needs to be activated. I tried Motorola and they punted to you - Verizon.

0 Likes
efarm

Not relevant probably, but I successfully used a Verizon Jetpack for years before hotspots.

0 Likes
efarm

Trust me. I have done the complete myverizon troubleshooting, chatted endlessly, tried website advisors all to no avail. The problem is straightforward: The part of my phone that allows devices to access its hotspot is not operative. Its links are grayed out. Please, please bump this up the line to someone who knows how to activate the "add allowed devices" part of my phone. If that can't be done, please acknowledge that so I can pursue an adjustment of some sort such as possibly reactivating my old ellispsis jetpack to compensate for the no-hotspot (otherwise works fine) phone I'm buying for many dollars. Thanks, David

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I appreciate your efforts to fix this concern. Let's continue to troubleshoot the MHS for the Moto Z4. https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/motorola-moto-z4/troubleshooting/ When did you get your new phone? ARe you able to connect any other device to the MHS on the Moto Z4? VanetrisC_VZW

0 Likes
efarm

Ordered 7/15/2019 #002707018001. I've been through that sequence of troubleshooting steps and it does not fix the problem. Someone, somewhere needs to activate that part of the hotspot controls under manage device where it allows other devices to use the hotspot. As I've explained many times, it shows on the computers as an available source but when I log in it says Windows 10 can't access it. That's almost certainly because my phone says allowed devices "none" and when I try to add one the only active link is "cancel". Please escalate and if that can't be done kindly reply to that effect and I will include your conclusion with my repair or replace order to Motorola. At this point both Microsoft and Motorola say it's a Verizon problem. Thanks for your help but we're doing Groundhog Day with the troubleshooting. Please escalate and see if someone up the line understands the issue. David 

0 Likes