Re: Why would wifi calling stop working?
molding

I have the same issue

0 Likes
Brownian_Motion
Enthusiast - Level 3

Verizon has also pooched the Droid Turbo.

I've been fighting with them for a week or so.  They finally admitted that it is no longer on the list of phones that will "do" VoWiFi...

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I know that the seamless operation of Wi-Fi calling can be crucial, molding. Wi-Fi calling is a feature that I depend on as well and I'd be delighted to help figure out how we can fix this. I understand that you are having a similar issue to user tiredoftalus but could you more fully explain what's going on with your phone in relation to Wi-Fi calling? Also, what's the make and model of your phone?

Ryan_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Brownian_Motion
Enthusiast - Level 3

That's ok.

Verizon Tier 2 has already admitted that the Droid Turbo will NO LONGER SUPPORT WIFI CALLING, EXCEPT when you are >ROAMING< and have selected "Use WiFi" instead of using the roaming cellular network.

Putting the phone in Airplane mode and then re-enabling Wifi will NOT work.

Nor will it work if the phone is in its NORMAL mode AND you have it connected to a WiFi system, but you are in an area that has NO CELL NETWORK SIGNAL whatsoever.

Verizon/Moto has done something to the firmware in the phone that has BROKEN the ability of the phone to switch to WiFi calling in the event of NO CELL SIGNAL, or in AIRPLANE MODE.    (Effectively the same thing..)

How do I know that?

Simple.

The phone WILL connect to the Verizon network IP gateways VIA the INTERNET IF the phone 'sees' BOTH a cellular roaming network, AND is also connected to a WiFi network..

(This behavior as been tested by joining the WiFi network in the store where we were shopping, then calling *611 and getting the "Welcome to the Verizon network" message. If the phone was routing calls via the Rogers Canadian network, *611 just gets you an error message.)

I told Verizon that if I'd have dropped it a pail of water, then it would be MY problem.

However, Verizon pushing software/firmware updates that I have NO CONTROL OVER, BROKE MY PHONE and I EXPECT THEM TO FIX IT!

I was told to get the function back, I NEED TO GET A DIFFERENT PHONE.

This is TERRIBLE.  They BREAK MY PHONE AND THEY WANT ME TO LAYOUT A BUNCH OF $$ TO GET A DIFFERENT DEVICE?

Oh, ok, they said we can arrange a credit to your account, but it will be only $150 which is the cost of a newer, refurbished Moto phone model that doesn't have the problem, and, conveniently, THEY DON'T HAVE IN STOCK.

Oh, then they said a Samsung S8 is only $600 ...  perhaps you can UPGRADE?

No, Verizon, YOU BROKE MY PHONE.

At this point, I'll have to find another handset like a used S7 or something if I want to get the functionality back.

Content modified as required by Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Brownian_Motion, I appreciate all the feedback and your efforts thus far to correct this Wi-Fi Calling concern. The last thing I want is for you to feel forced into upgrading into a new smartphone simply because Wi-Fi Calling doesn't work anymore. I apologize for the lack of proper resolution and not fully taking your needs into consideration. I want to do my best to exhaust all options so Wi-Fi Calling can work on your Droid Turbo again.

Based on my extensive research as we are also Tier 2 Tech Support via this channel, I cannot find anything that actually confirms that Wi-Fi Calling is no longer capable on the Droid Turbo or that a recent software update took the feature away. Please attempt to Reset Network Settings on your device if not already. This will reset all Wi-Fi, mobile network and Bluetooth connections. You may attempt a Wi-Fi call going forward. http://spr.ly/6589D0bGt

In addition, there is an option where you can run a Software Repair Assistant on your phone in an attempt to correct the Wi-Fi Calling functionality issues. This is a great option and allows you to retain all your personal information on the phone while the software is re-loaded on your phone. The link attached provides you with steps you can take via a computer. Please keep us posted on any changes. http://spr.ly/6580D0bGQ

AlanS_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Brownian_Motion
Enthusiast - Level 3

Already done what you have listed.

Note that the WiFi calling DOES work, but only in a SPECIFIC circumstance.  (When you are actually roaming, and 'prefer wifi calling' versus 'using the roaming network' is selected.)

Take a look at the >extensive< CSR notes on my account, if you want.

I can give you the email address of the CSR I have been corresponding with at Verizon, but I don't want to just dump it into a public forum.  (Perhaps you have a method of doing a Private Message on here?)

Basically, you are telling me one thing, and a different T2 CSR is telling me something else, and he said his info came down the chain from his supervisor.

All I know is that VoWiFi worked PERFECTLY for SIX WEEKS with the phone in AIRPLANE mode, back in October / November of 2017 while we were in Costa Rica, and it also worked this summer in Canada, UNTIL about a month ago, when it all went sideways.

Like I said, dig into my account, recover who the last T2 CSR I talked to was, and you two bat it back and forth and figure something out and get back to me.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Brownian_Motion, thank you for taking the time to respond. I know how important having your Wi-Fi calling can be when you're out of the country or in an area without the greatest service. It sounds like our tier 2 technicians have already determined that your device is not compatible with Wi-Fi calling and that you would need to upgrade to a compatible device in order to have access to the feature. The following link will take you to our device page where you can review our most recent devices so you can the Wi-Fi calling feature back. http://spr.ly/6589D0xhv

Jesus_VZW

0 Likes
BYRHAW3

I have also used this both at home and business but not frequently enough to notice when this stopped working.

As I have begun some testing I am finding the Droid Turbo is no longer working however the iPhones are still working.    I have tried all the resets as suggested but no luck.

This seems to line up with the posts in this forum that Verizon is no longer supporting the Droid Turbo for wifi calling.   For those of us that have been loyal Verizon customers for years I find this very disappointing.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

It’s important that you’re still able to use Wi-Fi calling, BYRHAW3. I want to help get this back working, and wanted to start by gathering some additional details. When did this issue first start happening? What zip code are you located in? What happens when you attempt a Wi-Fi call while in airplane mode?

Joseph_VZW

0 Likes
Brownian_Motion
Enthusiast - Level 3

Geez, give it up, already.  Verizon / Moto has pushed some firmware updates or something that has TRASHED the abilty of the Moto Droid Turbo to use VoWiFi.

Quit beating around the bush and just ADMIT IT.

0 Likes