Re: Moto z2 play oreo upgrade anytime soon?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Our goal is not to make this a frustrating situation, paula.hines8, we want to make sure that you get the correct information regarding the software update on your devices. Allow us to be honest with you, it will be up to the manufacture to decide on when they will stop supporting a certain phone model, in this case the Moto Z2 Play. Keep in mind that we only provide the service to your mobile devices and the manufacturer, along with Google will decide on which devices get the next software update. We will recommend that you contact Motorola, at 1-800-734-5870, to get more information on your device and see if they will continue to support future software updates. My wife recently had to upgrade her device since it stopped receiving support from the manufacture. Let us know if this information helps.

VictorC_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Smash591
Enthusiast - Level 2

VictorC, I appreciate your attempt at an honest answer, but you missed Paula's point that even the new Moto Z2 Plays from Verizon are upgraded to Oreo, while we, Verizon's loyal customers, are still being ignored and told to relax, your phone will be upgraded and/or patched whenever someone gets around to it.

Not acceptable over a year since Oreo was released, and now Pie is almost here. What I expect and probably the rest want, is for this question/thread to be elevated to a level where either we get a real answer or we get the upgrade for our phones.

oscarh
Enthusiast - Level 3

And here we go again - "contact Motorola, it's up to them."  Motorola has already updated the unlocked Z2 Play to Oreo (and, I suspect, security updates later than 04/2018), they will tell you the upgrade is "pending partner support."  In other words, VZW is making sure their bloatware works with the new OS version - I would suspect the Z2 Play gets updated to Oreo around 08/2019 (two years after release) or never, and updated to Pie sometime around 2021/2022.  I am saving my pennies for an unlocked phone that will receive updates from the manufacturer or Google in a timely manner.

hipaula8
Enthusiast - Level 2

VictorC, your attempt at an honest answer is appreciated.  I feel like I'm argueing with a politician.  I've stated the FACTS plainly- the Moto z2 Play in stores now HAS Oreo!!  WHY don't the other Moto z2 Play phones?  Motorola has obviously put a working version of Oreo out on the Moto z2 Play which means Google sent it to them.  If it's IN YOUR STORE, it should be ON EVERYBODY'S PHONE!!  This should have already been resolved or elevated to another level!!  I'm ready for some credit on my account or mods or free phone upgrade.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Smash591

Rest assured we have taken the necessary steps and submitted a request to the appropriate team regarding this update. They are in contact with the manufacturer and are the ones that handle the inquiries about software updates. We cannot confirm when or if the update will be available since it has to be tested and approved before it is officially released.

Paloma_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
hipaula8
Enthusiast - Level 2

OMG, y'all just don't get it!!!  Still with the false answers!!  Motorola has Oreo on the z2 play IN YOUR STORE!!!  Their site says "waiting on third party vendor" which is normally the carrier, in this case- YOU!!!  Of course you won't confirm "when or if" because then you will be held to something.  Let's look at some facts: 1- My version of the Moto z2 play is the ONLY Moto product NOT UPGRADED to Oreo that's capable.  2- Moto z2 play in stores NOW have Oreo.  3- This conversation started 2 MONTHS AGO!!  4- NOBODY has ELEVATED this complaint in 2 MONTHS!!  5- Motorola said it was a developer issue & to contact them.  6- Google said it was a carrier issue & to contact YOU!!  7- Verizon Wireless Customer Support hasn't done ANYTHING for 2 MONTHS on this ISSUE for at least 3 CUSTOMERS!!!

Content modified as required by Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

hipaula8, receiving different answers for one inquiry would have me frustrated as well. I will make sure we submit feedback for improvement on this customer experience with the Oreo software update. At this time we do not have any specific timeline when the update will be available to the Moto Z2. This is something we have no control over and is released by the manufacturer. I have supplied a link to the details of this software update. Did I explain this okay? https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/android-oreo-os/

Rodney_VZW

0 Likes
mr_kludge
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have read this entire thread. What evidence do you have that the Z2 Play in Verizon stores has Oreo 8.x on them? Personally I stay out of Verizon stores if at all possible so I haven't checked it out. I do know however that very shortly after I purchased mine in mid-August that Verizon discontinued the phone. I had ordered one from both Verizon and Moto (the Verizon version) and when I was processing my return of the one to Moto (long story) I noted that they had also discontinued the phone. Perhaps there was still stock in stores at some point. This BTW is a bad sign for this phone since there is no real reason to stop selling it unless support is no longer. Verizon passed on the z3 play stating that there was no real advantage to the z3 over the z2. I was a bit in panic mode when they stopped selling it online but...I also had ordered z Z3 Play from Amazon but returned that one also when I found out that it was compatible but lacked essential services for me, namely; VoWiFi and HD Voice and a few other things.

I love the phone and have little issues with it except for an odd demise of IPv6 at times that I understand was fixed in a recent security update and of course Oreo 8.x. This only happens when I am connected to my WiFi mesh system at home (no other devices are affected and it's fine on all other networks aFaIK).

I'm more looking forward to 9.x Pie on this phone as long as Moto and Verizon do not renege like they have with most of the other Moto's I have had and my last phone that was a Blackberry PRIV. I've become accustomed to getting only one or maybe 2 updates on any cheep phone I purchase for Verizon. For the most part it has not affected me, but it is annoying. This phone is just a stop gap until the Pixel 3 comes down in price and/or is offered on other carriers.

0 Likes
hipaula8
Enthusiast - Level 2

The evidence is the phone in the store.  Yes, I do check with them because of this aggravating loop of blame.  They haven't stopped selling it & are selling the z3 as well.  I'm well aware of the reneging as it has gotten me twice.  It's truly annoying to ask questions & get nothing answered by customer service.

0 Likes
fodjab

[removed] Anyhow, I am dubious in your claim. perhaps next time you are in the store take a pic or scan of the Verizon Z2 Play phone that has Oreo 8.x on it. You could then post it to all the Verizon social media sites to shame them into releasing Oreo to all of the existing VZW Z2 Play phones out in the wild? I no longer have a store even remotely close to where I live, work or normally hang out. There is one a a far away town where my mother lives but I rarely go near it.

You sure the it is a Z2 Play and not a Z Play or Z3 or an unlocked Z2 Play? Is it an actual VZW Corporate store you are visiting or is it a reseller (authorized or not). Reason why I am dubious is that if they are not selling it online they won't be selling it in stores unless they are trying to get rid of stock that way. The phone is no longer available online or via phone. Also there is NOTHING posted online that ANY VZW Z2 Play phone in the wild (new or otherwise) has had an update. All the forums (developer and support) indicate that nobody has received it yet. There is a root you can do to get it, but you will loose functionality. Furthermore official VZW sites and information and other tracking sites have not reported ANY activity surrounding O for VZW Z2 Play yet. Only empty promises from Moto that it will be done. Same case with P-9.x

Folks are upset stating that it is bloatware that is being developed/tested/loaded but those are trivial. I suspect that there are issues with advanced features like VoWiFi, HD Voice and other things that are holding this up and they just don't have this as a priority. There are few Z2s out there compared to other phones plus they have stopped selling the phone and as I said that is ALWAYS a bad sign. It could be that since P might be around the corner that the phone will jump to there.

I am in no hurry for any update. I own a number of Moto 360 watches and my guess is that I will have to erase and restore each one of them each time a major update is loaded. That has been the case several times in the past and even with some security and interim updates (even with the Wear OS software itself). It takes me a couple days solid to re-do all the watched and then issues for day/weeks after.

Anyhow if you can grab a pic of the phone AND the update screen showing 8.x running on a VZW Z2 Play in a store that would be way cool.

​Content modified as required by Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

0 Likes