Re: Moto z2 play oreo upgrade anytime soon?
hipaula8
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok, so I copied this from YOUR LINK; you see the ONLY Moto phone not updated yet??  Yes, that's right the z2 play!!  I've contacted Motorola & they said it was a "developer" issue.  So I contacted the "developer", Google.  Of course, they weren't too happy & they said to contact my "carrier".  I told them the circle that I was getting ready to start going through & my posts DISAPPEARED!!  So I'm back to this.  So, "developer" says it's "carrier" issue & manufacturer says it's "developer" issue.  I'm not going to win this one.  This is a 9 month old phone & I shouldn't have to be going through this.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Having the newest update for your device is important, paula.hines8. Updates to the device are developed by the manufacturer of the device then given to carriers to send out. We have no exact timeframe on when you will be receiving the update. 

PedroM_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
hipaula8
Enthusiast - Level 2

No, PedroM; you didn't read any of that did you?  It's not really about the newest update at this point but why I have the ONLY Moto phone that doesn't??  New Moto z2 plays have Oreo; ALL other Moto products have been updated to Oreo.  So the manufacturer has the newest update on the device & ALL other devices except my 9 month old Moto z2 play.  So, just because it's on new z2 plays doesn't mean they have the upgrade pushed to you yet or it would be on your software list that I copied.  Like I already stated, manufacturer said it was developer issue who said it was carrier issue.  It's a vicious blame game!!  I want no part of it anymore; give me a real answer & fix this issue!!

EDDYHJR71
Enthusiast - Level 2

Paula, the responsea we've received are a complete joke.  We're getting the same canned copy and paste Customer Service replies but no real specific answers to questions.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for clearing that up Paula, and great question! By any chance have you already tried to do a software update through the computer instead? If not then when you have a moment please click on the following link that will show you how to follow these steps using your computer to help you get the new Oreo update in your device, and help you get this corrected once, and for all. https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-116950/

Also, we wanted to make sure that you're aware of our great rewards program. Verizon Up allows you to gain rewards for paying your bill such as gift cards, sporting event tickets, and even concert tickets. You can even get discounts for local businesses in your area. You can get more details by clicking on the following link: m.vzw.com/m/UpSocial .

David_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
EDDYHJR71
Enthusiast - Level 2

So I tried this just as you have explained...downloaded the software updater, ran through the prompts...it says my Moto Z2 Play is up to date.. but it's still 7.1.1 Nougat!  I tapped the "check for system update" prompt in Settings and it says "Your device is up-to-date - Android version: 7.1.1."  So this response does NOT solve the issue of upgrading a Moto Z2 Play to Android 8 Oreo.

What next???

hipaula8
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yep, ran through that just like below with exact same results!!  So, what's next???  I've got 4 lines on my plan with the same phone.  This is getting old fast just like Congress!!

Smash591
Enthusiast - Level 2

For once, I wish a Verizon Customer Support professional would behave in a professional manner and actually read the thread first, then NOT keep posting the same cut and paste responses. It is offensive!

Those of us who have the Z2 play are fed up with the game and I, for one, am preparing to take my $3k per year subscription and give it to a carrier that gives a damn about their customers.

It would be nice if VZW could get their act together and give this community the honest answer we, your customers, deserve.

oscarh
Enthusiast - Level 3

To be fair, I have done my time on first level Hell Desk (which is now mostly online.)  We were not really kept in the loop as far as what the engineers were up to, and we certainly were not apprised of larger company strategy, nor of how the company interfaced with manufacturers and suppliers.  That said, it is apparent that VZW has no plans to update the Z2 Play any time soon - which is why I'm glad it was cheap - I plan to pay mine off as soon as possible, then get an unlocked phone based on reviews/reports of which manufacturer is quickest with OS *AND* security updates.  Just have to make sure it works with VZW, but there are a few that do CDMA.

0 Likes
joey2007ua64
Contributor - Level 3

oscarh wrote:

I plan to pay mine off as soon as possible, then get an unlocked phone based on reviews/reports of which manufacturer is quickest with OS *AND* security updates.

Verizon Certified Open Market Android Smartphones

Here is the current list of unlocked Android phones that are certified on Verizon's network.  Most of them will not support features like Wi-Fi Calling.  The Essential PH1 received Android 9.0 Pie on the same day as the Pixel line.

I have the Verizon Pixel 2 XL.  I took advantage of Best Buy and Verizon promotions that will reduce the cost of the phone to $350 over the device payment agreement.  It has a 2 year manufacturer's warranty and will receive 2 more OS updates.  Right now Best Buy is offering $300 off the 64GB model and $350 off the 128GB model when purchased with a Verizon device payment agreement.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/conditional-offers/pixel-offer/pcmcat1535723357816.c?id=pcmcat153572335...

Screenshot_20181002-164740.png