Moto Z4 Freezes/Shutting Off After February Update
GRMotoZ4
Enthusiast - Level 1

Recently Verizon pushed out a new software update for the Moto Z4. Ever since then, my phone randomly locks up (black screen) requiring me to do a hard restart to turn my phone on again. Sometimes the restarts fails, requiring another couple hard restarts to get it back on. I haven't been able to pinpoint the exact reason it shuts off but so far a Bluetooth disconnect is the most consistent way to cause it even if it's not every time. 

Does anyone else have this issue? Have you found a way to fix it? 

Is there any way to roll back the firmware to an earlier version that doesn't have this issue?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Moto Z4 Freezes/Shutting Off After February Update
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Grmotoza, I rely on my device constantly, so having it complete random actions after an update is very alarming. I will be more than happy to assist. Please share with me what software version is running on your device? Also, confirm for me what happens when you put the device in safe mode?

RodneyM_VZW

0 Likes
GRMotoZ4
Enthusiast - Level 1

My device software is PDFS29.105-74-10.

So far I have not been able to reproduce the issue once I am in safe mode but I did have the device freeze on a black screen when I tried to boot into safe mode. 

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

GRMotoZ4, I use the Moto Z4, too, and I can confirm that its current software version is PDFS29.105-74-10. It's a very sturdy and dependable device. I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing issues with it freezing up and shutting off after its most recent software update. Software updates are intended to enhance the performance of any device and not cause its user to be inconvenienced. I apologize. We thank you for the troubleshooting steps you've already completed and we've noted your reference to not being able to reproduce the issue once you're in safe mode with your device. We also noted your reference to your device freezing up, displaying a black screen, when you attempted to boot into safe mode. Let's dig deeper into this matter. Since we will need account-specific information from you, we’ll need your permission to gain access. Please check your Inbox as we’ve sent a Private Message to you regarding on this topic:

http://spr.ly/66071ofy9

- RobertC_VZW

0 Likes
Ecaj
Enthusiast - Level 2

Feb. Update causes my Moto Z2 to randomly shutdown. Driving me crazy!

DACtor
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same problem with my Moto Z4 after update!!

Scott5337
Contributor - Level 3

That's pretty common with Moto phones after an OS update. About all you can do is back up your personal data, factory reset and see if that helps.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We always want to make sure your phone is working properly. We'd like to make sure it's an update issue. Let's get to the bottom of this. Please send us a Private Message for assistance.

0 Likes
Re: Moto Z4 - AppFlash keeps shutting down
Phillymomx2
Enthusiast - Level 1

Out of nowhere, I was getting messages: "AppFlash is shutting down".  I was unable to use Amazon or Walmart app.  I disabled the AppFlash, but I still cannot use certain apps.

Any suggestions?

I have moto z4. Android version 10

Software updated to QDFS30.130-42-5-10-7.

Last update:  2-7-2021

0 Likes
Re: Moto Z4 - AppFlash keeps shutting down
Pdierk4

This happened to me too. Around the same exact time it happened to you. Did you find out how to stop it? I can't even check my email! Thanks for sharing...hoping we can figure something out soon. 

0 Likes