Re: Moto Z Force Droid extreme battery drain since Oreo update
DIGMYSHOVEL
Enthusiast - Level 3

No damage or liquid concerns.  No new apps.

Updated to 8.0 and now I have 45mins from 100% to dead.  If it shows around 30% and I try to take a pic it shuts down (0%) and will not power on until it charges up to around 7%.

LacyS
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have had the same issues.  My battery life is ridiculous and getting worse.  I have tried everything suggested including restarting, clearing all the apps, keeping it plugged in whenever I can, changing all my WiFi, data, and location settings, deleting unused apps, making sure apps are staying open and using battery power, I have not damaged it in anyway and the ONLY this g different is the update to Oreo and I hate it!  It has messed up so many apps and notifications and taken 2 months for me to adjust things to where I want them but my battery life is non-existent and I'm ready to scream at someone at VZ.  I am a travel nurse and will be driving 600 miles one way to work starting next week, this is not cool at all right now

Content modified as required by Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

mbrooke1215
Enthusiast - Level 3

My phone had been doing better, still restarting twice or three x a day for no reason, but whatever. Today, batterywas at 100% at 7 am and its sitting at 64% now at 10 am. This morning I read a few emails and looked at Instagram for about ten min is all

I went to settings and did device maintenance, and it alerted that apps were draining my battery. After the check, the result was that MY WEATHER APP HAD DRAINED A WHOLE WHOPPING 3.56%. SO, MY QUESTION IS WHAT DRAINED THE OTHER 60.44%???

Oreo broke stuff...Verizon and Samsung need to fix it.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

That's a great question mbrooke1215. We know the importance of keeping track of what's using our battery. You were simply looking at the alert that you got. On your Moto Z Droid you can go to Settings > Battery > Usage details, and you will find a breakdown of what used your battery since the last full charge.

UbaldoJ_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I depend on my phone’s battery life to be consistent, mbrooke1215. It’s concerning for sure that the Oreo update made your battery less dependable. After review of the thread and your posts in it, there are only two steps remaining. You mentioned there’s a pending update to your phone. I recommend you do that update as it may contain the patch you and others are asking for. The last update I show in my records is the Oreo one, so if you have access to a more recent one, it’s recommended to install that one. Alternatively, we recommend a factory reset but only after you back up your information. Just before the factory reset, disable the auto-backup and auto-restore options, then do two factory resets in a row. I’ve found that most helpful when I had Motorola devices. Once the second reset is done, run the phone with only your contacts and your Google account. No apps, no updates to native apps, etc. Observe the battery life. In this thread, you will be the first to take the specific steps I’ve outlined. Please let us know what happens so that we may all benefit from each other’s troubleshooting.

George_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
posies
Enthusiast - Level 3

Do you guys even bother reading the responses before answering? It has only become an issue since the Oreo update! I quit coming to you guys because I get tired of every one of you answering the same way without you doing any research to find an actual solution. Came only because a search brought me here. I'm fed up with updates destroying phones! This is my 3rd Moto Z..the last 2 had to be replaced after an update messed them up. The first one was after having my new phone for 2 months and it got replaced with a used certified phone...and I still owed over $600 for it at the time! I love Motorola's but they don't seem to be the product they used to be. Every major update screws up Bluetooth or the battery. Please find a solution instead of the pat, script answers! When you have all if these people saying the same thing and you continue to send us to battery saving tips or wipe your phone and start over, etc. The problem is the update!!!

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

posies, we know how  difficult it can be to have to deal with a device that is constantly giving you issues, and we will be glad to help you get this corrected the best way possible. You also have to keep in mind that the software updates are not directly releases by Verizon, but in fact they are actually released by the manufacturer which in this case is Motorola. We are aware that several devices are having issues after the update, and for that reason our technicians are working along with the Motorola technicians to work on a new update that will be released as soon as it is ready. This way you can get your device working again without having any other issues.

David_VZW

0 Likes
RICGOM23
Enthusiast - Level 1

Has there been any answer to this issue? I've read the entire thread and I have not seen any solution to this issue.

Verizon keeps repeating requests for the same diagnostics, but never posts a solution.

jlog909999
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've been having this same issue since the upgrade was forced on me July 26th. The battery actually died yesterday from 99% in the 5 minutes it took to get plugged in when the external battery died.

This is ridiculous, I have to plug the phone in where ever I go, the car the office, a battery during my commute. Having tried all the battery troubleshooting recommended here, I have to ask what the schedule is for an Android patch?

LacyS
Enthusiast - Level 2

I had mine die at 51% while I was using Google maps trying to get somewhere.  This is ridiculous.  A VZ rep I spoke with did admit there is an issue and got me connected to a Motorola rep, Motorola completely denies there is an issue or that there is a patch in the works.  We're screwed at this point people.  We have to keep speaking up and talking about it until they fix it.

Content modified as required by Verizon Wireless Terms of Service