Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
iPhone 15 Plus. Newphoria. Get it on us with select Unlimited plans. New line req'd. No trade-in req'd. Online only. Ends 3.31. Buy  |  Details.
end of navigation menu
3.2M Members 5,125 Members online 268K Discussions 44K Solutions
Moto Z Force Droid extreme battery drain since Oreo update
Looneyman
Enthusiast - Level 3

Recently, my Moto Z Force Droid finally received the long promised 8.0 Oreo update. And, like many, many others, Oreo has rendered my Z Force phone basiclly useless due to a ridiculously fast battery drain, even when the phone is sitting idle with the screen off. Just a week or so ago, before the trainwreck that is Android 8, the battery would last in standby mode for days, and would easily last an entire day of my "normal" amount of use. Now, when idle with the screen off the battery drains from 100% to 0 in less than seven hours, and if I actually try to use the phone the battery life drops to under two hours. This is unacceptable.  Personally, I think it's time for Lenovo and Verizon to step up and admit they totally messed things  up with this update, and either release a downgrade back to Android 7, or, if the rumors are true that the Oreo update did in fact damage these phones, replace all affected Moto Z Force Droids free of charge.

​Content modified as required by Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Labels (1)
Re: Moto Z Force Droid extreme battery drain since Oreo update
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello, Looneyman. We want you to love your device. You can find some of the more common solutions to many issues here: http://spr.ly/6589DW2I3 . If you sign in, it will track all steps completed on your account if further assistance is needed. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We are truly sorry to read about your battery problems. I know how important it is to have a long battery life on our phones. The are no reports or known issues as of right now with the device. Ronald, have you tried restarting the phone in Safe Mode? This will tell us if there is an app causing the issue. Also, if the software update didn't installed correctly, we might need to do a factory reset. Here are the steps to restart in safe mode: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-205258/  If this helps, then the battery issue is related to the installed apps.

Aaron_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Looneyman
Enthusiast - Level 3

I already ran through all the usual troubleshooting steps prior to posting about this issue, including a full factory reset. Right now, with no pre-installed app updates, and no installs of any 3rd party apps, the battery drain rate has improved some, to maybe 12 - 14 hours from 100% charged to auto-shut down, but that is still a nearly 50% quicker drain rate than my pre-Android 8 experience with this phone. As this is currently a "backup" phone, that has only seen light use since I upgraded to a Pixel 2 XL a few months ago, it spends most of the time idle with the screen off, so there is little chance that the increased battery drain is being caused by any 3rd party app - there were not any apps installed beyond the stock Google/Verizon apps that came with the phone. My next step I guess will be to do another factory reset, then I'll try disabling as many of the stock apps as possible, and see what happens.

Looneyman
Enthusiast - Level 3

So after the latest factory reset, and disabling as many of the stock apps that I could, the battery now lasts an astounding ten to twelve hours when totally idle, and just under four hours under use. This from a phone that I used to use as my full time phone, that I sometimes charged at night, if I remembered to plug it in, and which used to last a fair amount of the day if I was letting one of my children stream videos from sites like YouTube, or play games with it.

Something has definitely gone very wrong with the Android 8 update, I'm guessing that absent another update to fix whatever is going on the only option left is a warranty replacement, because right now this phone is nothing but a very expensive paperweight.

J_morgan
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the same issues with a Moto Z.  I have removed third party apps, turned off BT, GPS, removed widgets, turned the new green dot notifications off and still no difference.  As far as no known issues last I checked on Lenovo/Moto customer forums there was 1275 post on this topic.  Please correct this. 

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello Looneyman! Our main goal is to provide you with a reliable device. Please review the battery life tips in the link below, we also suggest you to exit or close applications not in use, turn off WiFi when not available:

http://spr.ly/6583DUbUl

Maria_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We definitely want to ensure that you have the best experience on your device, J.morgan. We would like you to review our battery saving tips for your device here: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-205213/

We would also like for you to go to Setting, then tap Battery, and review what apps or system processes are using the most battery, then uninstall those apps and restart your device.

Pedro_VZW

0 Likes
INPROGRESSPLUMBING
Enthusiast - Level 1

My phone does the same thing. Moto force z. Have to leave it plugged in all the time. The phone halfway works now. GPS freezes, drops calls, text messages and voicemails take forever to come through. The system update caused all this. Verizon needs to stop blaming this on 3rd party apps. When people say it started happening when the system update came through, that's apparently the problem. I have many apps on my phone and it worked fine before the update and now can barely stand having the phone after the update. Verizon needs to revert the system update for these phones.

KDeli
Enthusiast - Level 1

Like everyone else on this thread, I have experienced extreme battery drain since the update. Funny, my son has the exact same phone and he is experiencing the same problem. He paid off his phone this month. I pay mine off next month. Wonder if that has anything to do with it? Verizon trying to get me to buy a new phone? Meanwhile I have disabled all unnecessary apps and cleared the cache, turned off the location and still I can lose 30% of my batter just driving to work.