Insurance is a scam
cratenr
Enthusiast - Level 1

I got full coverage insurance when my whife and I got new phones a few months ago.  Unfortunately a few days ago my wife lost her phone or it was stolen.  We went online to phoneclaim.com and they said her Moto Z3 is on back order.  Whats the point of paying for the insurance and then having to wait for the phone just to fork out 149.00 deductable.   This is total garbage and makes me want to walk away from Verizon

Labels (1)
Re: Insurance is a scam
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
cratenr, we know how important it is to have a great working device at all times. Your insurance is provided through the company Asurion, and they are able to replace your device when it has been damaged, stolen, or broken. It is a great option for when you need a device that works for a fraction of the cost. In times, when they no longer have the device in stock, they may give you a comparable device. You will find it common among other wireless carriers to use Asurion. For further inquiries regarding your replacement, they can be reached at 888-881-2622. Thank you. 

EricaG_VZW
0 Likes
boringusername
Master - Level 1

@cratenr wrote:

I got full coverage insurance when my whife and I got new phones a few months ago.  Unfortunately a few days ago my wife lost her phone or it was stolen.  We went online to phoneclaim.com and they said her Moto Z3 is on back order.  Whats the point of paying for the insurance and then having to wait for the phone just to fork out 149.00 deductable.   This is total garbage and makes me want to walk away from Verizon

You do not have Verizon insurance. You have insurance through Assurion which ALL carriers use. So good luck at a new carrier. Car insurance has adeductable, health insurance has a deductable, homeowners insurance has a deductable. But I do agree phone isurance is a rip off it's not a Verizon thing. I've never had insurance. Be careful, get a quality case and take any money you would have paid on insurance and save it in case something happens. Also keep your old phone so you have a backup. But if you really want to have insurance for your phone you can get it elsewhere

0 Likes
Airplane1
Enthusiast - Level 1

It is a scam.  What's the point if it's got $150 deductible? Same thing happened to my wife.  Screen broke, and now phone doesn't work.  Thought it would be a nice $29 for new glass.  Nope, $150 deductible for replacement.  What did I pay $11/month for the last two years for?

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We're sorry to read that you feel this way, and would like to help out with this situation regarding your insurance. Your insurance works similarly to how car insurance works. You pay month to month for the coverage and whenever you actually need to make a claim, you only pay a small fraction of the total cost of the repairs. Normally, the insurance will not offer a screen replacement if there is a risk of internal damage to the phone. Were you able to file a claim with Asurion?

AlfredoL_VZW

0 Likes
enninb
Enthusiast - Level 1

The insurance is a scam. I just returned from a Verizon store. My iPhone 6 plus screen got all dark. They told me I had insurance. They gave me information to contact the carrier. I also checked the prevailing prices online. I found that the iPhone 6 plus currently goes for $233. My deductible is $149. So my insurance is only paying $84. I've been paying the insurance every month. If this is not a ripoff what else is?  I stopped filing the claim when they asked me to provide my credit card information. I  have Verizon Wireless, Home Phone, Internet and FIOS. I'm about to drop all of them. 

Weth
Legend

Why were you still paying insurance on a phone that is not worth that much? Same concept as with a car, when the value of the car fall to a certain level, remove your collision insurance and only keep the liability parts. With phones, pay for insurance for a year or two since replacement cost then is so high, but after that the value of the phone doesn’t make insurance worth it. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Oh no, we definitely wouldn't want you to leave the Verizon family of services, enninb. Sorry to hear about any confusion over Asurion insurance and the unexpected costs involved. I'm happy to help out. To clarify, was there damage to the screen on the iPhone 6? If so, did you check with Asurion to see if they could repair the screen under the cracked screen repair program? 

RyanM_VZW

0 Likes
pghguitar

I would absolutely agree with all of the posts here.  Verizon in general is a complete scam, and im regretting every day that i left sprint.  Im paying 2x as much, and the service quality is marginally better, sometimes worse.  But what really set me off is when i tried to get a repair on the rear camera glass.  I was told i have to replace the entire device, then learned i have to pay $200 for a replacement!!!!   I am paying $15 a month,  so over the course of 2 years , i will have spent $360 on insurance, if you factor in the replacement cost, im at $560!!!  thats almost half of the device.  The deductible alone is 20% of the value. If you would compare an auto insurance deductible on a 30k car (often $1000), thats just a fraction of the overall cost - 3%.  I will not be purchasing insurance again,  and will not be going with Verizon again.

0 Likes
tkommer
Enthusiast - Level 1

The difference with those insurances you mention is you are paying a small deductible on an unknown claim that can be quite large.  Not paying for the insurance and then paying $200 deductible on a $600 phone, complete scam.  That's the equivelant of paying a "deductible" of $150,000 when your $300,00 house burns down.