Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
iPhone 15 Plus. Newphoria. Get it on us with select Unlimited plans. New line req'd. No trade-in req'd. Online only. Ends 3.31. Buy  |  Details.
end of navigation menu
3.2M Members 4,460 Members online 268K Discussions 44K Solutions
Re: How fix severe battery drain since 7.1.1 update?
Meme73
Enthusiast - Level 3

I downloaded mine back in August and no fix yet.  Both Verizon and Motorola(Lenovo)originally were giving people suggestions on how to fix and then suddenly went silent.  Most assume because they don't know how to fix this.  Here is an on going post on Lenovo website where everyone is having the same problem.  People are talking Class Action Lawsuit because this is totally unfair for a Company to sell us a phone where a download(which is suppose to improve the phone) makes the phone just a brick!  Currently I can ONLY use mine when it's plugged in, as soon as I detach it shuts down and shows battery is dead.  Then when I plug it in it starts charging from like 75%.  Very frustrating!

Moto Z - extreme battery drain after 7.1.1 update - Lenovo Community

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

NATLCAL-

Yikes, that definitely sounds frustrating. Updates are supposed to enhance your phone, not cause issues. Let's figure this out together. When did you complete the update? Can you tell me how long your battery typically lasts on a usual charge? 

AmberK_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Meme73
Enthusiast - Level 3

To AmberK, I already answered these questions before, a Verizon CS rep asked me these same questions...since I am the one who started this thread.  They then private messaged me for info and asked if could do diagnostics for which I said OK....and that was the LAST I heard from them.  Downloaded 7.1.1 back in August.  Phone was working fine before and right after the download the battery issues started.  This is NOT new...it is posted EVERYWHERE online....that the 7.1.1 download was tainted somehow and totally [removed] up the phone.  I read somewhere that the wrong version of the 7.1.1 download was sent to the Moto Z, which totally [removed] up the battery.  My phone now ONLY works if constantly plugged in...it will die after a few seconds after I unplug it even though it says 99%, then it shows the battery dead symbol.  Then when plug it in to charge it will say it is 75% already charged.  This happens EVEN when I the phone is turned off.  I know for a FACT both Verizon and Motorola know about this and basically have chosen to ignore it.  Unfortunately, I waited thinking Motorola or Verizon would do the right thing and send a fix for this to everyone since it is a widespread problem.....I was very very wrong.  So we all wait now (or have moved on and bought different phones other than a Motorola) in hopes the the new OS Oreo will fix this [removed] since people who are more tech savvy than myself who reverted back to 7.0 resolved this battery issue.  What I tell people....Do Not under any circumstances download 7.1.1 unless you want to end up with a worthless phone and if you are looking to buy a new phone do not purchase from Motorola...find a reputable company that actually cares about it's customers!

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Meme73,

I appreciate all of the details you've shared so far on this, as a battery that won't hold a charge can really dampen how you use your phone. Let's not give up yet though. I have already reached out to the other rep that sent you a PM, so when you get a response to that, please continue through that channel for the best help. You had said that you used both Safe Mode and completed a factory reset on the phone - both very good steps so far. However, have you recalibrated the battery itself yet? The way to do this is to let the power run almost out (5-10%), then press and hold the power button for about 10 seconds until the phone reboots. Plug in the original charger at this point, and allow the phone to charge to 100% (leave it on the charger overnight). After this is done, if you are still getting this shorter battery life, go to Settings > Battery after the 100% charge and a full day of use and take a screenshot of it. We'll need to see that in the PM you received earlier.

RussellM_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Meme73
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yes...I have recalibrated the phone several times.  I have tried everything under the phone to fix this mess!!.  What you seem to not understand is that it was the 7.1.1 update that did this.  And ever since I downloaded it my phone battery has slowly kept getting worse and worse.  To the point now that I can ONLY and I repeat ONLY use my phone when it is plugged into the charger.  The charge says 100%, and as soon as I unplug it and try to use it the phone powers down(although it says it is at like 97% full battery) and I get the battery is dead sign.  Then when I plug the phone in to charge, the battery will now read something else now maybe ex. 75% full, and if I ever do (did) a hard reset the battery amount would change every time.  This issue is directly from the 7.1.1 update.  It rendered my phone useless!  So I need info on how to either get a new version of 7.1.1 downloaded to my phone or revert back to 7.0.  Read everything online!  The 7.1.1 update has done this to MANY phones, and now we as customers who trusted Verizon and Motorola, have to deal with this frustrating mess...and according to many people who just changed the battery....it continues to still do this battery drain because the 7.1.1 update was corrupt!!  Companies need to take responsibility and do the right thing and  fix this mess that THEY created by sending out a corrupt software update.  We are told these updates "help" and "better" our phones and it is all complete BS!  This was not the case in this situation.  Personally...I am truly disgusted how this is being handled by all parties involved!

dominic75
Enthusiast - Level 1

Has verizon or lenovo figured this problem out yet, its been  many many months. I would also like to revert back to 7.0, can verizon do this for you?

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

dominic75 wrote:

Has verizon or lenovo figured this problem out yet, its been many many months. I would also like to revert back to 7.0, can verizon do this for you?

No. You can't revert to the previous version of the OS.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

Meme73
Enthusiast - Level 3

All parties involved know about the issue but have chosen to do nothing!  This includes Verizon Customer Support...all they do is offer up the same old junk....which does not fix the issue....which is that the 7.1.1 update ruined our phones and nobody wants to take responsibility.

vanigo
Contributor - Level 2

Hi Ann I was wondering if the update to 7.1.1 was automatic?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We know how important it is to make sure that your software is up to date. When there is a new update for the phone, you will get notifications asking if you would like to upgrade. To check for the latest software update you can use the following link.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/motorola-moto-z-droid-editions-update/

0 Likes