Re: How fix severe battery drain since 7.1.1 update?
Wiz632
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have two suggestions, one you have probably tried and one you probably won't like. First check the performance setting, I think they default it to high when you update it. Two would be go to walmart and purchase their large battery pack. I grabbed one for a trip and it works like a charm. It holds 5 phone charges, that is the claim and I don't think it is too much of an exaggeration if it isn't true, and is only 40 or 50 bucks. Way cheaper than a new phone.  The brick one is also fast charge capable. You could go with one of the cheaper stick ones but those slow charge usually and I think your phone would die faster than it charges. My fear though is it may get rather hot in a pant pocket so I would suggest a jacket, wouldn't want you to explode. The brick does take several hours to charge but once you are home it shouldn't matter.

That is all I can think of so you don't have pay Verizon/moto/android or whomever to fix their own mistake.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Having a reliable battery is essential, Meme73. I have sent you a Private Message to best assist.
NicoleB_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Meme73
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks....will probably be forced to get a battery pack because I can't trust the phone.  It will say I have 44% battery left and then just suddenly die.  And I only get maybe an hour of use if I am out, because it drains even when I am not using it!!!  This phone is really worthless!! Works fine if I keep it plugged in all the time while using but I hate doing that and what good is the phone when I can't really take it anywhere.  This will be my LAST Motorola phone!  Their batteries are terrible...my previous Motorola phone had battery issues as well.  Plus I read that the Moto Z2 Play that just came out has a downgraded battery from the original Moto Z Play???  Seriously Motorola....one would think they would learn from their bad battery mistakes and start making phones with good battery performance.  They Clearly don't get what consumers want!

0 Likes
JGwiz
Contributor - Level 1

Problem:  after updating 7.1.1, battery drain becomes excessive.

Possible solution: look in your apps for a piece of garbage called "AppFlash."    Verizon baked this in to the update and pushed it onto your phone when you weren't looking.

After taking the update my battery life was horrible and I was lucky to have 35% after 5 hours of light use.

Then I found AppFlash.   I cleared the data and cache, then disabled it.  ( you cannot remove this horrible intrusion on your life....only disable it.)

Now after 5 hours of light use, I'll have 75% battery.

Please try this and let others know your experience.   The Verizon reps will never admit to this app being a problem.

0 Likes
Meme73
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks...Appflash is from the recent download..i just received that one a few weeks ago...And I did not download it...will NOT be downloading ANY new updates.  7.1.1 really [removed]  up my phone then there was a download a month later in Sept and that made everything even worse(didn't think that could be possible).  So I am done with these horrible downloads....will wait till Oreo comes out and then see.

It irks me that all the moderators claim how these updates and downloads are Suppose to make the phones better....um...NO, from what I have read and in my experience that is all bull.  What I would like to see is a company make a phone where if these updates and downloads mess it up, there is a way to revert it back.  Now that is a company I'd buy a phone from!

Get Outlook for Android<https://aka.ms/ghei36>

Profanity removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service​.

Message edited by Verizon Moderator.

Wiz632
Enthusiast - Level 2

I understand not wanting to download the new updates after those experiences, but the updates could theoretically fix the issue. It is doubtful, bit that is sort of what updates are for. Is there a place to see exactly what you are downloading?  The message you get on the phone just says [removed] ike we added new security features and ui fixes, but doesn't actually tell you what it is, and i don't ever see a link to notes anywhere. Even games release patch notes every time they update so one can actually know [removed]  was updated in detail without having to guess.

Profanity removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service​.

Message edited by Verizon Moderator.

Meme73
Enthusiast - Level 3

I responded to your private message but have not heard anything back.

Get Outlook for Android<https://aka.ms/ghei36>

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

Countless people report issues following an update to an Android device. They incorrectly assume that an update will complete without any issues and all should be well. The problem with that logic is that OTA updates cannot be programmed knowing all the multitudes of different user configurations that exist in the user community. Some portions of memory may not be cleared sufficiently, and this may impact how background services and applications run following the update.

In many many years of being on Android, perhaps 75%-80% of the time taking an OTA on various devices, for various updates, on various versions of Android, I had a successful experience with an OTA without having to do anything to address unexpected device behavior following the update.

Users with long-time Android experience will tell you, *MAYBE* your OTA will complete without resulting behavior problems. However, if some arise, your first attempt to fix it's operation is to perform a System Cache Wipe (done from the System Recovery / Boot Menu). This is not the same as an Application Cache Clear (done from Settings Menu). Carrier support sites tell you how to perform an Application Cache Clear, which is an easy thing to do. The problem is, this generally doesn't fix problems following an OTA. It's the System Cache Wipe that you must research via Google, if you don't know how to boot into the System Recovery / Boot Menu...

If this doesn't correct behavior, then the subsequent recommendation is Android users are encouraged to back up their personal content to a PC or Cloud, and perform a Factory Device Reset, aka Factory Data Reset (FDR).

In fact, there is a population of Android veterans that actually take the step of performing an FDR *BEFORE* they take the OTA update. Seems extreme, but they generally never report subsequent problems.

High battery use following an Update is usually caused by applications re-syncing content following an OTA. There is high radio use (cellular or WiFi). People know that following an OTA, it's best to leave the phone on WiFi to do the resync, otherwise they might experience high-data use on their plan.

If your battery usage is high, and the phone is warm, chances are, the radios are doing a lot of communication of data, or the CPU frequency is very high. On Android, you can go into settings and find out what apps are consuming battery and WiFi or Cellular data. You can download free apps that will show you the CPU frequencies, and how long it's spending in high-frequency states. There are ways to sleuth what is causing your battery to drain fast.

The easiest thing to do though is at first notice of a problem: perform the System Cache Clear. Beyond that, do the backup and perform the FDR. This is good medicine for your device following an OTA where things didn't go smoothly.

HTH.

Meme73
Enthusiast - Level 3

I received your message and replied back with the information you requested and I have heard Nothing back.  I am Extremely unimpressed with Verizon Customer Support!!!!

NATLCAL

I am having the same issue.

After updating my phone my battery life has decreased more than 60%

Is Verizon planning on deploying an update to resolve this issue?

0 Likes