Re: How fix severe battery drain since 7.1.1 update?
Msar0414
Enthusiast - Level 1

Any word on class action lawsuit? If so, I'm in! Motorola has been utterly useless and will not acknowledge the problem. Just last year they lost a CA lawsuit for similar issues with poor customer support.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Msar0414, we truly understand the importance of making sure you have a reliable working device. We are here to help. Allow us the opportunity to further investigate the details of your concern.  Can you please provide us the model of your device? What type of device concerns are you experiencing? Also, can you please clarify when this concern started?

SylviaT_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!! 

0 Likes
soulnourished
Enthusiast - Level 1

So I'm hoping you can help with this fix of disabling and re-enabling Play Services since Verizon sure isn't any help! I tried this fix and when I click disable it of course says the app will be restored to factory default. When I enable it again then I get errors saying my apps won't run unless I update Google Play services. Did you encounter this as well? Thanks in advance!! This issue is becoming ridiculous for me!

0 Likes
SCOCOO59

How were you able to disable Google Play Services? In my Apps, both Disable and Force Stop are grayed out. I tried the uninstall updates and get a notification stating, "Can't uninstall because this package is an active device administrator".

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I want to make sure that your questions are answered. Google Play cannot be disabled or uninstalled. It is part of the software built into your device. You would have to talk to the manufacturer of your phone if you have additional questions about this service.

0 Likes
MrDondo
Enthusiast - Level 2

That's odd.  I just went into my phone now and Disable and Force Stop were both options for Google Play Services.

0 Likes
MADMAXMUTT
Enthusiast - Level 3

My son's Moto Z Play started doing this about a month ago. I have read through this thread and tried everything listed. The battery was only lasting one hour three days ago. Once a factory reset was done, the phone got worse. It is pretty much a corded phone now, as it must remain tethered to power all day. As soon as it is unplugged, it shuts off. When you plug it in, it immediately says it is 83% charged.

I will wait for what seems the inevitable Verizon response to follow the exact same steps again. Is there any real resolution to this problem?  Whomever responds to this from Verizon. . . It would be nice if you read the thread first before simply responding with what now appears to be a canned answer.

@Verizon Wireless Customer Support

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

MADMAXMUTT, we want to ensure that your son has a phone that he can rely on when he’s on the go. Having a cell phone that’s connected to a charger all day isn’t fun for anyone. We’d love to better assist with addressing this issue and getting this taken care of once and for all.

First, we want to thank you for taking the time to read through the thread and go through the various steps that have been suggested. We also want to thank you for going further and attempting a factory reset. To get a better understanding from this point on, we’d like to ask a few additional questions. After the factory reset was completed, how soon were the third-party apps re-downloaded onto the device? Also, since the factory reset, was the battery issue solved temporarily or did was the continue the entire time?

SamanthaT_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
MADMAXMUTT
Enthusiast - Level 3

The first time, I entered the email address and let it download the apps. The second and third time I didn't enter and email address and told it to setup as a new device. Each time it happens immediately. If you remove the power cable (even while at the initial setup screen) the phone shuts off.  Wonderful product!

0 Likes
CholinMS
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have applied each of the potential fixes listed here other than warrantying out the phone itself. I will be taking it to a Verizon store this weekend, but to update this thread with my issue:

About 3-4 weeks ago Andriod version 7.1.1 was installed as one of the mandatory updates. After that I started to notice that my phone would just die when it would get down to the 20% mark on the battery gauge. Since then I started charging my phone more often and the issue seems to have gotten worse. I have checked my battery usage and applications and cleaned up high usage apps that could be removed and disabled others. A factory reset had no effect on the systems battery life that I can tell,

Doing the reboot by holding down the power button for 30-40 seconds will, unless the phone is plugged in drop the battery anywhere between 20-50% of what the battery said it was when the reboot was initiated. Just recently I did this reboot with the phone at 69%, with it plugged into my computers USB3.0 charging port and when it came back online the phone was reporting 8% battery left.

0 Likes