Re: How fix severe battery drain since 7.1.1 update?
STEPHIE27
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm having the exact same issues!!!! My phone is pretty much useless at this point!!! I've been holdoho out for the Oreo update and it's getting ridiculous!! The amount of money I spend each month on a phone that can't hold a charge for more than an hour or so!!! Anyone heard any word on the Oreo update - seems like it's been in the works FOREVER!!!!

MrDondo
Enthusiast - Level 2

Notice how the mods have suddenly gone silent?  If you're listening, could you give us a ballpark idea of when the Oreo update will arrive?  This phone is not a cheap, no frills piece of hardware that we can afford to throw away.

TIAGUO27

i have the same issue. my phone is about 1 year old. and from couple weeks ago the battery starts to drain really really fast. one fully charged will only last 6 hours maximum for stand by now. tried to clear the cache. didn't get any better. it shows the Android system is using most of the power and the  phone is getting very hot even when it's standing by. i think it's the system somehow makes the CPU running all the time and burn most of power down. hopefully it will be fixed.

0 Likes
Js70s

Exactly same issue on my moto z droid. Only on year old. For past 2 months or so, the battery suddenly started drained like HELL! Cannot use the phone for more than half an hour. Cannot keep up with charging it. Still recall last November, was on a long trip and my phone worked fine. And now it's like a junk! I have to put on fight mode to save battery but it makes the phone completely useless.

DEMANDING Verizon and Motorola FIXED IT OR REPLACE OR REFUND ASAP!

0 Likes
MrDondo
Enthusiast - Level 2

I took my phone off the charger this morning and didn't touch it for an hour.  When I went to use it, it was down to 73% and the only apps running were Android System, Google Play Services, and Android OS.  Each was listed having 1% battery drain.  The phone was very hot to the touch - you'd have thought I was streaming HD video while overclocking the CPU.  I disabled the Google Play Services, which immediately lowered the temps, but made the phone unusable, so after an hour I turned it back on.  Phone is now cool and battery drain seems to have moderated.  Will report back at end of day with updates.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

MrDondo, we always want to ensure that you have the latest information available for your device. While we’re unable to see any future scheduled releases, you can always stay up to date with the latest news for this particular model at https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/motorola-moto-z-droid-editions-update/

Please know that your safety is always a top-priority for us and we certainly wouldn’t want you to experience any excessive temperatures with your device. If your phone continues to reach these temperatures, we’d recommend avoiding additional usage and bring the phone into one of our corporate stores as soon as possible. You can view a full list of the available stores in your area at https://www.verizonwireless.com/stores/

To better assist with the battery concerns, we'd like to make sure we have a full understanding. Can you tell us when you started to experience this issue with the battery life? What's the current version of your device software? Have there been any recent changes that may have occurred on your device at all?

SamanthaT_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
FLNUT

We have 3 Moto Z Droid phones just under a year old.

The last couple of weeks have been very frustrating.

All three phones are experiencing the same issues.

Unexplained rapid battery drain, weaker than normal signal strength, overheating and constantly locking up.

We have not added apps or changed our usage habits with the exception of needing to charge much more frequently.

Was there an "upgrade" lately? (I use the term upgrade loosely)

It is to the point we are strongly considering buying out and switching to another carrier.

0 Likes
MrDondo
Enthusiast - Level 2

The battery drain problem started last year but was infrequent and random.  It has become regular and severe over the last few weeks.  It's running 7.1.1.  No recent changes to phone at all.

Here is some good news: since I disabled and re-enabled Google Play Services, the battery drain has seemingly gone away.  I went to bed last night with 54% of my battery left after having been unplugged for 12 hours with light use.  Today I've been off the charger for 5 hours and still have 84% (I've hardly used the phone so far, though).  No heat issues at all since messing with Google Play Services.

0 Likes
FLNUT

Great.

I will try that with our phones this evening.

Thanks for the tip.

As far as the overheating, good luck taking it to a corporate store.

Tried that last year with the daughters first Moto Z, they wanted nothing to do with an overheating phone. Luckily we had bought the protection plan so it only cost about $100 to replace it. It was less than 6 month old at the time, btw.

0 Likes
JENJOH10
Enthusiast - Level 2

My husband and I are having the exact same issues. Have only had this phone a little over a year and still owe on it and it's piece of a crap now! Battery just drains. Android system, google play services, screen, and android OS are draining our batteries for a few months now. Obviously it's an issue so why aren't you helping us fix it?