How fix severe battery drain since 7.1.1 update?
Meme73
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ever since I did the 7.1.1 update on my phone (Moto Z Droid)it is all [removed] up!  Battery severely drains, only get maybe an hour of use..if lucky!  Phone dies even when says that has enough battery left.  Some of my apps aren't working correctly.  Tried everything to fix...and last resort did factory reset which actually seemed to make it worse!  I really liked the phone when I got it but now it is worthless!  I can ONLY use it if I keep it plugged in all the time.  So much for being a "mobile" phone.  I can't take it anywhere cause it will die in a few hours because the battery drains even when NOT in use and even in Safe Mode!  My phone was working fine before I did this 7.1.1 update.  I so regret doing it because it has totally ruined my phone.

Profanity removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service​.

Message edited by Verizon Moderator.

Labels (1)
Re: How fix severe battery drain since 7.1.1 update?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Meme73, we certainly want you to have a working phone. I am sorry to learn that after the update you have had so many troubles. An update is to enhance the phone not hinder it. Based on your post you have done a lot of troubleshooting to try to correct this issue. When you did the factory data reset were your applications reloaded? If you go into Settings > Battery > what does it show that has used the most battery life?

TionnaB_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

BoomerD_
Enthusiast - Level 2

First I want to say thank you for taking the time for this and how quickly

you responded.

So I have done it with and without the apps, neither way made a difference.

The two top consuming programs are Android os and screen. But as of late I

am pretty much plugged in all the time so I cannot even walk around for

more than a few minutes before it dies. My wireless device has become not

so wireless, lol.

On Dec 8, 2017 7:54 AM, "vzw_customer_support" <forums@verizonwireless.com>

Meme73
Enthusiast - Level 3

It changes everyday depending on what I am doing. There isn't a specific thing that drains it...maybe screen is a bit higher but not much. This battery drain even happens in Safe Mode so it isn't a downloaded app and this still happened after factory reset as well. Plus the battery drains when I am not even using it. When i leave the house my phone is at 100% and even if I don't touch it or maybe half hour to an hour it will be at 80-85%. All i know is that the 7.1.1 update really did a number on the OS.

There needs to be a way, like computers, that if an update totally screws up your phone a person can go back to before the update. Personally factory reset SHOULD do just that but doesn't. I think companies do this so that people will be forced to purchase new phones! Because from what I read online this happens to a lot of people after doing software updates. Why do companies who blatantly know this is going on..not try to fix it as they should and instead just wash their hands if it.

Sent from Outlook Mobile<https://aka.ms/blhgte>

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

It's important for you to have a battery that is in good health, Meme73. I understand you experience battery drain while in safe mode, and after the factory reset. Can you clarify how soon did you notice the issue happening after the factory reset? Please also clarify when you restored your apps after the update. Since completing the update and experiencing the battery draining, have you noticed a change in your service?

AndreaS_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Wiz632
Enthusiast - Level 2

I know you said you disabled all the apps, but are you sure?  When my gs6 updated to7.1 it downloaded a slue of "power saving" apps that run in the background, along with a few data, system, and ram managing apps.  All they did was slow the phone and kill the battery.  It took forever to try and disable them all, and sadly after a day or so they would either reinstall or re-enable themselves without my permission.  The one that gave me the most trouble was power saver,I am not entirely sure if it was connected to the update but I believe it was, which cut the battery life almost in half.  Peel smart remote is also a huge pain in the neck and a massive power drain, if it is on your phone never activate it if you can avoid it.  I thought I had removed it about six times yet I would turn my phone on and it would start back up.  I thought the disable option in settings actually disabled the app but it would appear it was more of a suggestion than a system command. 

0 Likes
Meme73
Enthusiast - Level 3

My battery was fine prior to downloading the 7.1.1 software update. Immediately after my battery started draining severely and some apps were acting up. I waited a bit before doing factory reset, I thought Motorola would send out a fix since when I researched it online lots of people who had a Moto Z were saying the same thing. Then a month later another system update came out and when I downloaded it, my phone got significantly worse! When I did the factory reset I did not add ANY apps back on right after....I used it a few days without, and still the same battery drain. In fact, since the factory reset it seems to drain even faster. I get maybe an an hour of use if I'm lucky on a full charge(just searching Google) Its this 7.1.1 update...it did something to my phone!!! What I want is to take this 7.1.1 update off and reinstall it or keep it off permanently. This is my second Motorola purchase and It Will Be My Last! Their batteries are horrible! Like u said....a download is SUPPOSE to make your phone better, but this has destroyed my phone and has made it worthless!

Get Outlook for Android<https://aka.ms/ghei36>

Meme73
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have a Moto Z, it doesn't have any of the apps you talk about.  But I am sure 7.1.1 downloaded some junk that [removed] up my phone.  From what I read people say wait till Oreo comes out and hopefully it will fix.  But it shouldn't be that way...if a download comes out and  [removed] up a persons phone, then the companies that make these phones should take responsibility for it.  At least send a fix to people whose phones got  [removed] up by a bad download.

Get Outlook for Android<https://aka.ms/ghei36>

Profanity removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service​.

Message edited by Verizon Moderator.

Wiz632
Enthusiast - Level 2

I agree that there should be an option to for lack of a better word downgrade the os on the phone, you can do it with windows after a few hoops, but alas that would make too much sense.  I tried looking for a way to do it with android os but it is extremely convoluted and more than likely you end up with a paperweight.  And for most of the options to downgrade android os you have to root your phone, which you currently cant do above android 6 or something like that.

BoomerD_
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok the issue started right after the last two phone updates. I waited 24

hrs before downloading any apps just to make sure they weren't causing the

issue. I've done so much research and what not that I'm just at my wits end

and I am wondering why I'm still paying for a mobile device that isn't

mobile at all. I cannot go anywhere with my phone without being plugged

into some sort of power. I have talked to several different Verizon stores

and they all tell me the same thing, "there is nothing they can do, and I

just have to deal with it until I get a new phone." I've been a loyal

Verizon customer for over 20 years and never expected that kind of

response. I'm. Not sure if I need a new phone or just a new battery for my