Re: SD card unmounts on LG G3
SCOGRO61

I had not done safe mode before but did last night and in the hour I had it in there, I did not get an error. When I left safe mode, I uninstalled about 25 applications and it seemed to be working. I did notice a couple of apps that must have been installed with the latest update and uninstalled those as well. I disabled Message+. Everything seemed to be alright last night and I got no errors in the 4 hours before I went to bed. This morning I got the error and now it is back to doing it repeatedly.

The SIM card was not replaced.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

SCOGRO61-

We appreciate all of your efforts with troubleshooting. We definitely want to solve this pesky mystery. I will be sending you a message to your community inbox. Can you please respond in private so we can get a closer look at your account and your specific device? Thank you so much!

AmberK_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Rednexk95

I myself am having the same issue with my micro sd card not staying mounted to my phone. I have tried formatting it and that still did not do anything to it.

0 Likes
bolski
Enthusiast - Level 3

After receiving the 49A OTA for the VS985 G3, I immediately had the same issue with my SD Card constantly being unmounted, remounted, then eventually it doesn't stay mounted at all and I cannot remount it without rebooting the phone.

I've tried several different SD cards and they ALL exhibit the exact same behavior.

I was previously on the 48A version of the OS for the G3 and had not had any problems. As soon as I took the 49A OTA, the problem immediately surfaced.

I've done factory data resets, left it with the base install and no updates, and the problem still persists with any SD card. If I take the SD cards to other devices, they work without any issue. It appears the 49A OTA did something.

The phone is not rooted, not modified in any way, etc. No cracks, it's in a case and I've had the SIM card replaced recently.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I'm sorry you're having such troubles with your device, bolski. I know how important it is to have it working properly with your SD Card. Can you tell me when you did the update? When you did the reset, was the SD Card out of your phone?

VanessaS_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this.

0 Likes
bolski
Enthusiast - Level 3

I called into VZW support today after doing a test in Safe Mode. While in Safe Mode, my SD card works flawlessly like it did before the 49A OTA. No problems what-so-ever. I even used burst mode on my camera and took 99 photos that all wrote to my SD card without one issue. I was able to read from the card, copy files to the card, delete files from the card, etc.

As soon as I boot out of safe mode, immediately, it unmounts my card. So, this to me points to a software/firmware issue that exists after the 49A update. The VZW rep apparently found this thread when I was on the phone with her today (or some other thread), and stated that Verizon is actively looking into this issue and trying to find a solution. She also got me in contact with LG. That was an exercise in frustration because the LG rep said I could send the phone in, they'd diagnose it and then if necessary, they could update the software to fix the issue but since my phone is out-of-warranty, I'd have to pay a repair fee. I told her that was not acceptable since this was caused by an official update pushed out by LG. She said she was sorry but with the phone out of warranty, all repairs had to be paid for. I then responded telling her that that it's okay for them to send out updates (for free) to out-of-warrant phones that break them, and then we the customer are responsible for paying for repairs? Huh? I can understand if I dropped the phone and broke it, but this was from an official update from them. I could even understand that if there were no update pushed out from then, and then it started happening with my SD card getting unmounted, that's a different story. But this entire issue was started by the 49A update that came out a few weeks ago for the VS985 LG G3.

So needless to say, at this time, the ONLY way to get the SD card to work is in safe mode, which means I do not have access to any of my downloaded applications.

My hope is Verizon will right this ship by finding the fix and releasing it to us free-of-charge as this update was an official update from LG and Verizon. Factory resets do nothing to fix the issue. The only way to prevent the SD card from being unmounted is to be in safe mode. Again, that to me points to this being a firmware/software issue, NOT a hardware issue. Otherwise, you would see the same issue in safe mode if it were indeed a hardware issue.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Bolski, we can’t have you missing out on the benefits an SD card has. You’ve been through a lot and want to get this taken care of right away. As the phone is working in Safe Mode, we’d recommend removing any new applications you’ve downloaded until the issue is fixed. The Safe Mode helps determine if an applications you've downloaded are causing the trouble.

StevenM_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
bolski
Enthusiast - Level 3

THe problem is, even with nothing but stock apps installed only, the SD card keeps unmounting when not in safe mode. Only in safe mode does it ever stay mounted. Even after a factory data reset, with NO apps installed, it keeps unmounting when in normal mode. Hopefully, you can find the cause of this soon and get the phone patched to work correctly. This was never an issue before 49A. Now, it happens all the time. Sounds like some security code has a flaw or something from the 49A patch. Is this actively being looked into and a solution will be determined? The phone is still in excellent condition and I have no need to upgrade.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@bolski

I understand your dilemma with this software issue. I would like to assure you that this issue is being investigated and hopefully another option will be made available soon.

AnthonyTa_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
bolski
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for following up with us on this issue. I do hope the other option is getting a software patch to fix the issue as the update apparently is the culprit. I understand my phone is out of warranty, but this wouldn't have occurred if the update would have been tested more thoroughly. Therfore, I hope that the other option isn't having to purchase a new phone.

0 Likes