SD card unmounts on LG G3
SCOGRO61

Every since the OTA update earlier this week, I have been getting an error saying that the SD unexpectedly unmounted. I tried the SD card in my G Pad and had no issues. I reformatted the card on the phone, unmount error. I got a new card and formatted it on the phone, unmount error. I factory reset the phone and it went through its updates, reformatted the new card and still got the unmount error. Talked to dude at Verizon store who said I needed to factory reset the phone and get a new SD card because they are a little less helpful than the Geek Squad.

Have there been other problems since the last update?

Labels (2)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: SD card unmounts on LG G3
bolski
Enthusiast - Level 3

I called into VZW support today after doing a test in Safe Mode. While in Safe Mode, my SD card works flawlessly like it did before the 49A OTA. No problems what-so-ever. I even used burst mode on my camera and took 99 photos that all wrote to my SD card without one issue. I was able to read from the card, copy files to the card, delete files from the card, etc.

As soon as I boot out of safe mode, immediately, it unmounts my card. So, this to me points to a software/firmware issue that exists after the 49A update. The VZW rep apparently found this thread when I was on the phone with her today (or some other thread), and stated that Verizon is actively looking into this issue and trying to find a solution. She also got me in contact with LG. That was an exercise in frustration because the LG rep said I could send the phone in, they'd diagnose it and then if necessary, they could update the software to fix the issue but since my phone is out-of-warranty, I'd have to pay a repair fee. I told her that was not acceptable since this was caused by an official update pushed out by LG. She said she was sorry but with the phone out of warranty, all repairs had to be paid for. I then responded telling her that that it's okay for them to send out updates (for free) to out-of-warrant phones that break them, and then we the customer are responsible for paying for repairs? Huh? I can understand if I dropped the phone and broke it, but this was from an official update from them. I could even understand that if there were no update pushed out from then, and then it started happening with my SD card getting unmounted, that's a different story. But this entire issue was started by the 49A update that came out a few weeks ago for the VS985 LG G3.

So needless to say, at this time, the ONLY way to get the SD card to work is in safe mode, which means I do not have access to any of my downloaded applications.

My hope is Verizon will right this ship by finding the fix and releasing it to us free-of-charge as this update was an official update from LG and Verizon. Factory resets do nothing to fix the issue. The only way to prevent the SD card from being unmounted is to be in safe mode. Again, that to me points to this being a firmware/software issue, NOT a hardware issue. Otherwise, you would see the same issue in safe mode if it were indeed a hardware issue.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello SCOGRO61! My apologies for the trouble you're experiencing with your phone not reading your SD Card. That is strange. You mentioned you purchased another SD card and the same results happened. What is the model SD card that you are using in your device? This device will support a MicroSD card up to 128GB.

KristieQ_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
SCOGRO61

I got a Sandisk 128 GB card. I also tried my wife's Samsung 128 GB and had the same error. It works in her phone which is the same model.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for confirming SCOGRO61. Let's continue to work towards a resolution. Does the device have any physical or liquid damage at all? Do there appear to be any issues with the SD card slot? Does the card fit securely in the slot?

RashadM_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
SCOGRO61

Phone doesn't have any cracks or dents and has been in a case the whole time I have had it. No liquid damage that I know of. Card seems secure in the SD card slot and no apparent issues with it. Looks the same as in my wife's phone.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

SCOGRO61, we're not giving up until we can get this fixed. Does the SD card unmount as soon as you put it in? Does it recognize the SD card?

ZangY_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
SCOGRO61

It will recognize the card. It just continually says that the card has been removed and then the card has been mounted.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

SCOGRO61,

I appreciate the clarification. We’re right by your side until we figure out this SD card mystery. Does the message come up when you are doing something in particular on the phone? Have you by chance downloaded any new apps recently?

AliciaS_VZW

0 Likes
SCOGRO61

The message basically comes up if the phone is on and there is an SD card mounted. No new apps have been installed. Just the upgrade

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We appreciate all of the details, SCOGRO61. Let's make sure we take a closer look at the device together for answers.

Please power the phone up in safe mode http://vz.to/2cgGJFT I understand thay there was a factory reset done at the store. Was the sim card replaced by any chance?

SteveR_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes