Prepaid SIM in Italy and hotspot?
k______

Hi! I'll be traveling to Italy. Can I use the hotspot feature on the G3 with a prepaid SIM from one of the carriers over there? Do I have to add their APN? Will it still try to connect to the Verizon server?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Prepaid SIM in Italy and hotspot?
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

I am not an expert but I believe you won't be connecting to Verizon at all outside the USA. Regardless of whether you are using your VZW SIM or not. VZW has no towers outside the USA.

I don't believe that the MHS will work with a foreign SIM.

Snn5
Legend

Just use the foreign carrier's SIM and plan.  You will connect to that carrier and not Verizon.

0 Likes
k______

Right. There's no Verizon cell site outside the US however CDMA doesn't rely on the SIM. The SIM, in the US, is only for LTE. Once the G3 is switched to "international" mode and has a valid SIM it should not even turn on the CDMA radio. It should switch to GSM/HSPA/LTE only, but I can't tell how the hotspot app acquires the gateway. I think in the US it always pings VZ even if you have a SIM from, say ATT. VZ probably put that in the firmware. Logically it should get that info from the SIM when there's a foreign carrier SIM, but there's no way to tell until I get there.

0 Likes
k______

Yes. I'm sure for phone calls, texts and even internet access it'll be just fine, but does the hotspot work? I know it doesn't work with an ATT SIM here even though you can still make calls.

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

This is why I said that I don't believe that MHS would work with a foreign SIM. Have you contacted Global Services?

0 Likes