LG V30 Android's Screen sharing doesn't work
CBUCHACHI
Enthusiast - Level 2

Using the built-in Android screen sharing option from the Settings > Connected devices menu, I have two available devices listed to share with, a Google Chromecast (for video) and a Vizio sound bar (for audio only).

Twice in the last two days I was able to choose either device, connect, and cast successfully once to each device. After disconnecting those successful screen shares, I cannot successfully connect to the devices to cast again. The status shows "connecting" for up to a minute before returning a message saying the screen sharing has been disconnected from the device. 

An update to version 20I was delivered & installed on my V30 this morning. After the update I had one successful screen share, and then right back to failures.

I can cast to the Chromecast from within an application, like YouTube and Twitch without issue.

Another device on my family plan, a Moto Z2 Play, can use the built-in Android screen share (labeled "Cast" but has the exact same interface, settings location, & functionality as the LG's "Screen Sharing" feature) without problem.

So I've tested several different methods to cast and screen share to different devices using different smart phones and the only method that fails constantly is the Screen Share feature of my LG V30. Please help.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: LG V30 Android's Screen sharing doesn't work
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

It's worrying to see that the Screen Sharing feature is not working properly on your LG V30 after deleting the 2 devices that were previously listed especially because you're able to cast from other applications to Chromecast, and you're not experiencing any issues while using a similar feature on a Moto Z2 Play. Since you already updated your device's software version, we would like to get additional details to get this issue corrected. Please tell us, have you made any changes to your device's settings recently? Is your LG V30 currently connected to Wi-Fi? Are your other devices connected to the same Wi-Fi network?

GeovannJ_VZW

0 Likes
CBUCHACHI
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for your reply and assistance.

I haven't been able to screen share with the devices since a software update about a year ago I believe. All devices are all connected to the same SSID on my local wifi network. I'm sure that's atleast why they're appearing in my list of available devices to screen share with.

I've reset the router, the Vizio sound bar, and my v30 all in an attempt to resolve the issue with no avail.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We appreciate these additional details and steps you have taken. We are eager to see this fixed for you. When you say you have reset your phone, was this a Factory Data Reset? 

TabithaJ_VZW

0 Likes
CBUCHACHI
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for confirming that information.  Let's restart your device in Safe Mode and then test the screen sharing.  It's possible that an application that was reloaded from your saved Apps after the factory reset is causing an error. This is also a great way to check all your apps that may cause errors: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-215227/

TinaN_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
CBUCHACHI
Enthusiast - Level 2

With safe mode on, when I tried to screen share with the Chromecast, I got an error message that stated "Google Play services has stopped working", even after another restart in safe mode. Something seems to be missing from Google Play Services to allow a screen share with the Chromecast in safe mode.

Upon entering safe mode on the very first attempt, I was able to connect and disconnect from the Vizio Sound bar. On the second try, the same behavior as before where it shows "connecting" status then followed by "the session has ended" several seconds later. Restarting with safe mode off, I go to screen share and it automatically tries to connect to the Vizio sound bar, with a message stating "connect to the last device on the network" but never connects and eventually disables screen sharing. It's like it's able to make an initial connection to the sound bar but upon disconnect it doesn't fully release the connection or properly stop the screen sharing service, causing further attempts via the screen share feature to fail. Again, this is all from within the Android/LG screen sharing setting. I can launch an application, like Twitch, and cast to the Chromecast without issue (the Vizio sound bar isn't an option there because it's audio only) when it's failing via screen share. I could not get it to connect successfully via screen share at all, although there appears to be some period of time when it will work again, it's definitely more than a day.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
CBUCHACHI, it sounds like you have done quite a bit of troubleshooting. It is concerning to hear you are still having these issues. At this point, we recommend reaching out to LG, the phone's manufacturer, to see what other options they may have for you. They can be reached at: https://www.lg.com/us/support

ChristineK_VZW

0 Likes