Re: LG G5 upgrade impacts battery life
JC-Tx
Enthusiast - Level 1

Already did everything suggested before posting. I've been in safe mode today and seeing same drain. Fact Data Reset next.

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

And every time you perform a FDR, realize that if the problem is caused by your phone getting synched to some cloud, or your emails or texts being downloaded, well, yeah, that's going to eat into the battery life.

I agree Safe Mode is a good means to ferret out the problematic downloaded application. But the problem might be with a VZW app doing the synching.

Have you sleuthed it to find the programs or tasks that are consuming battery, CPU cycles, data bytes?

I don't have any backup to the cloud or some such. I manually place pictures onto my phone, and don't expect my text or emails or whatsapp messages to be restored. I don't have a lot of music or documents that might need to be restored.

0 Likes
DAVNII44

I echo this problem. The 9/1 update sent my battery life down the drain. Is Verizon going to continue support for the G5? My G5 on T-Mobile still is working great.

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

It's been my experience with my G4 that following updates, it takes a few charging cycles for the battery "model" to get updated so it more accurately reflects battery capability. I've always gone by 3 charge cycles, and I run it very far down, and charge all the way up.

following an update, you may see a certain amount of syncing of certain apps - you can go into Settings and look at Data Usage, and you can enable Mobile Data, then you can see over the past month, how much data was used by the Cellular and WiFi radios.

Generally, battery life is most impacted by Screeen On Time (SOT), or the amount of work the radios are doing. Another battery killer is going to be a phone switching between 4G, 3G, and 1X looking for a signal.

You could try a system cache clear. Then the 3-charge cycles and see if your battery life improves. I believe it will.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

DAVNII44, we want you to have a long-lasting battery life. I'm sorry to learn that the update is hindering the phone's performance instead of improving it. After updating the software, did you update the applications? Are you using the original charger? Also, please run a Device Health Check via the My Verizon Mobile application and let us know what the results are. Here's how https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-201171/.

0 Likes