LG G5 upgrade impacts battery life
cwk-az

LG G5 upgraded to 2AA last week. Ever since the upgrade battery life is in the toilet. On the charger twice to three tones a day and phone is warm.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: LG G5 upgrade impacts battery life
Alicherry

I have the same issue. Battery life worsened. Even with location settings off, screen at 10pct. This is both with wifi on or in airplane mode. Charging is slow now, too. Same oem charger and oem cable.

I have reset cache. No better.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks so much for bringing this to our attention. We understand the importance of good battery life.

How long would you say it takes before a full battery life to die down?

TamaraH_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Alicherry

It drops 1% per minute with screen on 10%.

It drops from 100 to 60 overnight, no screen on. No apps open.

I have factory reset. Deleted apps.

It wasnt like this before the update

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Alicherry, waking up to a dead battery is never what we want for you. You have taken some great steps to get to the bottom of this. After that factory restore, did your apps automatically return? When checking the battery usage, what shows that it is using this faster? Check the steps at http://spr.ly/65898FEyV;

Verizon_Customer_Serivce

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the *Correct Answer* button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
JC-Tx
Enthusiast - Level 1

We have 2 LG G5 phones in our house and are having the EXACT same issue. We went from averaging 4 or more hours of screen time to 1-1.5. Even worse it does not go into android doze mode ever anymore it seems. Last 2 nights lost over 20% of battery. Before this update would go through 2-4%. No new apps have been added to phones. The only change was the last update.

0 Likes
Alicherry

Sorry to hear you are having the same issue as me.

Ive tried everything,suggested here and scoured to internet for a solution. Nothing has worked. This last update has really damaged my phones performance.

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

I guess the first thing I would do, is I would perform a factory reset. Sometimes when an upgrade is performed, some memory locations may be unexpectedly set which would affect an application or service behavior. In general, I think when upgrades are tested, they are done so after a Factory Reset, Over the years, I think I'm 50/50 for times I got away without doing a FDR on my device after an update.

One useful thing to look at is Settings | Battery | Battery Usage.Level Plot, and also scroll down and look at what is using the battery according to the operating system (my big three are Screen, Android System, then ahem, Facebook. I think I will uninstall FB now that I think of it, and access it via the web). Another is looking at Battery Optimization | Ignore optimizations (are there any processes or programs that are checked?). 

Another thing to look at: Settings | Data Usage. Look at what is using both Mobile (aka Cellular) and WiFi data.

Last but not least, you might want to download a process monitoring application, like Simple System Monitor. Are the cores of the CPU being heavily utilized? Your phone should be spending most of it's time at the lowest Frequency (clock speed). Network activity should be low. Disk activity low.

After doing all this, I'd uninstall all of the applications that I had downloaded. I'd do one more FDR, then I'd start adding in applications one at a time.

My guess, is something is attempting to restore your application settings or other data (like message history), and until that's all done, the battery life will be poor. But it's likely to improve.

You need to do some sleuthing. You'll find what is ultimately responsible for a warm phone and poor battery life.

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

I wanted to add: If the phone is not warm and battery life is bad, I'd charge to 100% and let the phone run completely down till it shut off. I think after an upgrade, it has to re-model what is `100% and what is 0%. Three charge cycles aught to be enough to have the battery model updated.

YMMV. Good luck.

0 Likes
JC-Tx
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am,in troubleshoot mode and currently in safe mode. Still seeing the drain with only delivered apps on so it's not a 3rd party app. Next is factory data reset. If that doesn't work it will be getting a replacement phone through extended warranty....AGAIN! This is so irritating. This happens to every VZW phone I've owned in the last 10 years from Motorola, HTC, Samsung(2) and now LG. Every time it happens immediately following an update. Saying Verizon "tests" is very generous. As a software consultant I've never seen this amount of upgrade fails. Since it's all android device manufacturers it must be VZW.

0 Likes