Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
iPhone 15. Newphoria. Get it on us. Online Only. No trade-in req'd. Limited time offer. Buy  |  Details.
end of navigation menu
3.2M Members 8,381 Members online 268K Discussions 44K Solutions
LG G5 no longer working after Oreo update
SerRaven

I updated my LG G5 with the system update for Oreo today. At first, I had no problems - just a few new things to get used to. My battery drained fairly fast, so I had to insert my spare. After doing so, my phone will no longer boot up past the Verizon screen. I've tried booting in safe mode, USB debugging, and wiping the cache. Nothing has worked thus far and, short of going into a Verizon store, I cannot find any other solutions. Is anyone else having this issue or able to suggest a solution?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: LG G5 no longer working after Oreo update
beccas81

I am having the exact same issue. I updated my LG G5 with the system update for Oreo on 9/26 late in the evening. Everything was working great until a couple of hours ago when my screen froze solid. It would not respond to anything. I had to take the battery out in a last attempt. Now my phone will not boot up past the Verizon screen. I have tried all the same fixes that you have tried and nothing has worked. I also let the phone sit for almost 20 minutes hoping it would just boot up if it was left alone. That did not work either, it only made the phone get hotter as time past. I am out of options as well. Hopefully someone will have a solution to this problem.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I depend on my device on a daily basis SerRaven, so I know the importance of being able to access your phone, it definitely is unusual that the device is no longer powering on after the update. We appreciate the steps that you have followed, based on the information you provided us, we would recommend performing a factory reset of the device, this will let us know if the device would need replacement or not. You can find additional information on how to do this through the following link: http://spr.ly/6589DNTj7

Alfredo_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

beccas81,

A software update is supposed to enhance your phone, not hinder. I'm here to help make sure we get this fixed. I'm sorry that your phone is not going past the startup screen. Your troubleshooting that you have done on your own is greatly appreciated. Allow us to run through a few more things to find a resolution. Please try to put your phone in Safe Mode with the following steps https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-204132/ When you try this, does the phone power on past the startup screen? I want to collect a few other pieces of information that I wouldn't be able to ask you in public. Please respond back to me in the Private Message that I've sent you.

Alicia_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
MarJus
Enthusiast - Level 1

I had this exact same problem. I tried this method of starting into safe mode and it still got stuck on the Verizon screen. I tried clearing the cache and then restarting in safe mode; same thing.

I even tried plugging it into my laptop while the phone was off and then turning it on, but it still got stuck on the verizon screen. I took it to the verizon store in hopes that they could hook it up with their computer to see if they could access anything, but was told it wouldn't do anything. They told me to do a factory reset, and that's what I ended up having to do.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

MarJus, we appreciate you bringing that experience to us here. It sounds like you've done extensive troubleshooting, but can you please clarify if the Factory Reset resolved the issues you explained?

0 Likes
Slizer
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have had the exact situation with my phone, no matter all the online trouble shooting I have tried nothing will get me past hours of my phone on the Verizon load screen, ugh, so frustrating.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Having issues with our phones can be very frustrating. I rely on my device for almost everything and I would be lost without it. Slizer, we would like nothing more than to help you get a resolution as quickly as possible. Let's make sure that we did not miss anything. What steps have you done so far? 

Rogelio_VZW

0 Likes