LG G4 marshmellow update breaks downloads
sbso

Marshmallow update on LG G4 stops you from downloading strictly on wifi.  I have tried 5 different phones and they all exhibit this "bug."

On my 5th try,  I tested without Verizon SIM card and was able to download apps,  update apps and download large files from web strictly on wifi.

To test this,  I went to settings->Data usage->turn off mobile data,  then click on the 3 dots next to the magnifying glass and put a checkmark on restrict background data.  Once that is done,  I am unable to download any app on wifi only.

I think Verizon put this in intentionally because when I first tested the phone,  I didn't have any SIM card in it and was able to update fine.  Once I put the SIM card in,  I am unable to download on wifi only.  This was tested on 2 other phones. 

I have gone through 5 G4's in the last 10 days and all of them have this problem.  Tried the following;  new SIM card,  new Google play account,  clearing cache,  starting phone in safe mode, and of course, new phones.  The phones work fine on wifi until the Verizon SIM card is installed.  Once that is done,  removing the SIM card won't allow you to use wifi any more.

Can anyone disable the mobile data fully and let me know if you also have this problem?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: LG G4 marshmellow update breaks downloads
Not applicable

Why would they do it intentionally? So you'll get mad an leave for another carrier. I mean hat's a smart business move is't it? My son has the G4 updated to Marshmallow doesn't have this issue. hmmmmm.

0 Likes
sbso

It must be coincidence that the their last update disabled gps positioning without going on their mobile data.  I am not talking about getting directions but just getting my current position.  With the Marshmallow update, I can't update or install apps unless I am on their mobile data.

The phones update and install fine until I installed the Verizon SIM card,  even with Marshmallow.  This happened on 5 phones that I have received;  all with no other apps installed.  Tried with different SIM cards and different play store IDs all with the same result. 

Now,  they are acknowledging the problem and I am getting a different phone instead of another refurbished G4.  This is after more than 2 weeks of constantly being on support calls every other day and reconfiguring 5 phones.  After the 3rd replacement,  I asked if I could just get a different phone of comparable value.  They've already pissed me off and if this next phone doesn't work,  I will be off Verizon. 

Maybe others don't notice the problem because they don't shut off data ( including background data ). So I posted to see if others can reproduce the problem.  

0 Likes
cronraptor
Enthusiast - Level 3

Confirmed.  I don't know why VZW would have done this on purpose though.  Seems like a bug, given the nag warning states data is restricted unless you're on wifi.

0 Likes