LG G3 Wifi issues after Lollipop update - Issue identified
cricketcorpse
Enthusiast - Level 2

I too am experiencing issues with my LG G3 post-lollipop update.  Issues so far:  battery draining at a higher rate (35% in 6 hours overnight with phone 'asleep'), notifications not working on Wifi, Facebook not working at all on wifi, general browsing slower on Wifi.

I did some digging and it appears to be an issue with IPV6 and how it is implemented in android 5.0.  This apparently affects a lot of other phones, and is not just a LG / VZ problem.  IPV6 cannot be disabled unless you root.  You may be able to fix IPV6 on your wifi network, so that's a point of focus.  My work wifi is also problematic, so I don't think I have a lot of recourse other than to call Vz for a new phone still running 4.x

Here are some interesting links

Wifi slow on lollipop - google dev states it will be fixed (comment made 3/2)
Issue 79576 - android - Wifi slow if IPv6 enabled - Android Open Source Project - Issue Tracker - Go...

Summation and testing showing IPV6 is the issue - includes fix if you are rooted (mine is a work phone, so I can't)
Fix Lollipop wifi issues (and coincidentally the Facebook app) by disabling ipv6 : Android

General article about issues across carriers

LG G3 Android 5.0 Lollipop Problems Reported By Users: Battery Drain, Slow Charging, Wi-Fi Issues An...

Disheartening with so much info available the first level support team has not been given the directive to acknowledge the problem and provide info that a fix is inbound (or not).

Labels (2)
Re: LG G3 Wifi issues after Lollipop update - Issue identified
Kitzy
Enthusiast - Level 1

This is exactly the problem I have been having since the update.   It's getting really annoying to have to keep turning WiFi on and off just to get emails,  check Facebook,  get notifications,  etc.   I always forget to turn WiFi back on.   This wouldn't bother me as much if I still had unlimited data.

ggnmg3703
Contributor - Level 1

An update "should" be released in about 1-3 weeks by Verizon to hopefully correct the Wifi issue.  I think this fix could also correct the notification problem as well.  LG does not plan on releasing 5.1 for a while and I am not even sure 5.1.1 is even on their radar.  This will be a minor patch by Verizon, but I am unaware if it will include any other potential fixes.

cricketcorpse
Enthusiast - Level 2

I hope so.  I ended up getting VZ to send me a new phone that still had 4.x on it.  I'd love for them to patch it, already missing some of the UI upgrades I had going to lollipop.

Will have to check up on the forums every so often.

0 Likes
hense83
Enthusiast - Level 1

The issue is confirmed through Verizon and LG. Call Verizon, what they did for me is send a replacement phone since it was under warranty, and increased my Data plan for the remainder of the billing cycle. There was no talk of any updates from Verizon or Android OS, looks like it's a hardware problem to me. The Verizon rep said they have seen this happen, but in only a select handful of devices, so it certainly doesn't affect everyone.

0 Likes
ggnmg3703
Contributor - Level 1

It is actually a Lollipop issue and your replacement could possibly have the same issue.  I have already had two replacements that experienced these same issues.  The issue can be traced back to when Google initially released Lollipop to their Nexus devices last year.  5.1 is suppose to remedy the issue but Google just released 5.1.1 that is going to "fully" correct the issue.  A patch from Verizon is in the works and LG has no plans to release 5.1 for probably months and 5.1.1 would be even further away.  I wish you luck with the replacement if you decide to update to Lollipop. 

VzWuserRC
Enthusiast - Level 3

Before my G3 upgrade to Lollipop, it has an issue that network connection (include email) would not switch to Data connection whenever it lose Wifi connection  (as preferred when wifi available). I had to go in to switch data connection to Global connect then back for it to "wake up" to Data Plan connection until it switch to wifi and lost again. After upgraded to Lollipop, I am no longer needing to do this.

0 Likes
dennman
Enthusiast - Level 2

Had the same problem. Started happening right after the lollipop update. Here is how I fixed the problem...go to settings...mobile networks...system select and change from global to lte/cdma.

VzWuserRC
Enthusiast - Level 3

I had to do that when it was on KitKat version, but seems Lollipop fixed that problem. It now has a new issue that is minor to me.

0 Likes
ggnmg3703
Contributor - Level 1

A link was suggested yesterday that included an app workaround from the Play store.  I was skeptical but it worked...this resolved my Wifi issue and notification issue.  This, of course, is a workaround and is the only one that has worked for me out of all the ones posted here and 3rd party forums.  Don't pay much attention to what the article is saying (unless you own any of the devices), but look for the section that talks about "A quick workaround..." with a download this app link.  Of course, use your own discretion since this is a 3rd party app.

Comcast's wireless gateways don't play nice with Android 5.0 Lollipop, but Google's on the case