Re: Just don't understand how the G2 gets Lollipop before the G3
ggnmg3703
Contributor - Level 1

I think you are only partly correct here.  Carriers may not make actual changes to the manufacturer code but they do have to make programming changes.  Because based on what you are saying then every carrier would have no reason to delay updates once they are received from the manufacturer.  So, I ask then what are the carriers doing during all that delayed time?  Are they just holding the update because they are mean?  Are they doing aggressive testing?  The simple answer is they are making program changes to the device when necessary.  I mean this is the one difference between Android and Apple.  Carriers are not able to make significant programming changes to Apple devices, thus explains why they get updates a lot quicker.  Whereas, Android devices go through a lot of hoops (Google, manufacturer, carrier ... and at each of these levels programming changes can be made) to get an update to the user.  It is the job of the carrier to assure updates work on the devices...not the manufacturer.  Nonetheless, please explain what Verizon (or any carrier) is doing during the time they receive the code and publish it.  I am curious to see your answer.

Tidbits
Legend

Actually you are wrong ESPECIALLY Apple devices.  Apple finishes the updates at different times.  They have different teams for each project.  Join ADC and watch the change logs.  You will know which devices are completed and which ones still are being worked on.  It's a placebo effect that they are timely because Apple doesn't push out the updates as they finish like Android does.  The testing for Apple and by the carriers happen because of ADC.  If you want to carry the iPhone you have to participate and do all your testing through there.  There have been multiple times where the CDMA iPhone is ready and the GSM iPhone was still being worked on.  Yes they are apart like that in the ADC and marked with (CDMA) or (GSM) in the change logs. Here's the link for ADC. Apple Developer

They do not do any programming changes.  Everything is done by the manufacturers.  If you think carriers change the code, and can withhold updates then explain...  How Motorola was able to update their Moto X so quickly on Verizon? HTC was willing to make a 90 day promise on their own?  If carriers had all that power YOU believe they do why would HTC be willing to risk marketing suicide by making promise they may very well never to be able to keep if carriers had the power you believe.

Carriers delay the update when testing against their network nothing more really.  It's their services they are really worried about.  Think of the complaints would happen with reception, or certain services not working...  Think of potential security breeches that could potentially cause privacy issues and public backlash.  Potentially someone could take down the network.  These are the things carriers test AROUND THE WORLD not just in the USA.

So I guess every manufacturer should do what Apple does.  People would believe the updates are timely after that...  Shoot even Google can't keep their Nexus devices all within the same versions.  N4, N5, N6 all had different versions since after the release of 5.0.  Only right now they are on the same version.  It took them 4 months to make them all have the same version...  Go figure...

0 Likes
Chesky
Enthusiast - Level 2

Okay, let's straighten this out, whether or not Verizon is coding, they are doing 'something'  that is holding back the update, that 'something' let's say it's just testing, was also done by at&t and t-mobile, they need the same security, and somehow they figured to push out the update a few weeks ago while Verizon is still in its pampers, probably they put more effort (work hours, man power, etc.) to roll it out, that is the point, if you want to satisfy your costumers you can make it work! Verizon, please show off...

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Chesky wrote:

Okay, let's straighten this out, whether or not Verizon is coding, they are doing 'something'  that is holding back the update, that 'something' let's say it's just testing, was also done by at&t and t-mobile, they need the same security, and somehow they figured to push out the update a few weeks ago while Verizon is still in its pampers, probably they put more effort (work hours, man power, etc.) to roll it out, that is the point, if you want to satisfy your costumers you can make it work! Verizon, please show off...

You also fail to realize... Different teams for each device. Do you have proof other than some other carrier has it that it isn't LG coding team slacking off?  We can look at the Note 4 vs. S5 and you'll see the same thing on other carriers  all S5's got the update long before the Note 4 did.  It'll always be a crap shoot.

I will do what Europe does...  HTC, and Motorola almost went under because of European sales number.  They currently are doing what no other manufacturer can't do even on Verizon... Let's be serious here.  Just because it's on one network and not another...  No two network security are exactly the same, and yet they manage to do what they just did 2 updates in a row. 

0 Likes
ggnmg3703
Contributor - Level 1

First off, what I was indicating with Apple is that they have more control over the release of updates with their carriers and force carriers to not make massive changes to their phones.  Even Google has indicated that they need to get better control over how updates are released due to all the changes at so many levels.  Their main concern is the delay with getting security updates to users.  I have never heard of any Apple owner whining about having to wait on any update due to a carrier holding it up...that is unfortunately an Android issue ONLY.  Secondly, ALL carriers do make program changes at some point to their devices.  Some devices require more changes than others and more testing.  Yes, Verizon is notorious for testing the heck out of phones, but they also make the necessary carrier program changes as needed to each device.  HTC made the promise that they would release the update and work with carries to help get the update in customers hand within 90 days.  However, if the phone has a carrier related software bug, then the carrier has to fix that...again not the manufacturer.  Bottom line is that the update is being held up by Verizon for reasons no one on here will ever know.....regardless if it is carrier program changes/issues, manufacturer program issues, etc.  So, arguing of who is right is not going to get the update out any faster.  I only know that carriers do make program changes due to I have a friend that works for Verizon and works on these changes that you claim carriers don't do.  Unfortunately, he does not work on LG devices.  And, I am actually happy with my LG G3 regardless if I get the update today, tomorrow, or 6 months from now.

Tidbits
Legend

Join ADC.  Outside looking in it appears that way.  The closer you get into the development you'll find manufacturers have to join ADC and do everything within ADC(but at a closer level with Apple).  You will see devices being finished at different times, and you'll see they are not being pushed out as they finish.  They wait untill ALL devices are finished then push it out all at once.  Join ADC and pay the $99 and wait for the next beta.  the last major update the CDMA iPhones were finished 2 months prior to the GSM version.  3 months Apple pushed out GM build, and a month after that finally pushed out the update.  Ironically the iPod was finished 5 months prior to that, and had little random bug fixes(nothing that would require a delayed release).    You are given a placebo effect because they delay the updates until ALL devices are ready.  I'll put money down if OEMS did exactly that we wouldn't be he discussing this right now as you would all perceive manufacturers are being timely.  Maybe we should start suggesting this...

No if it was a carrier related bug HTC will fix it... Their OWN timeline even shows carriers DO NOT touch code...  Motorola still pushed out 5.0 1 week after it's release on their Moto X and shortly right after the Verizon version.  If it was so hard...  Then how did Motorola do it?  Explain in detail.

0 Likes
androidfreak
Contributor - Level 1

It's hopefully going to be soon!!  Is your phone not working on kitkat? My guess is that it is working just fine. I never understood why so many people want the newest version first, when lollipop is available for the g3 I would rather have less bugs and other issues than being first on lollipop. My 2 cents

ggnmg3703
Contributor - Level 1

Well, I think it is time for me to tip my hat and leave the floor to you since you apparently seem to know everything.  I am not going to waste my time arguing about this.  And, if you don't know the answer about Motorola....well then that proves a lot.  I guess carriers hire programmers just to pay them to do nothing...hmmm!?!?!?  I am not going to comment about your Apple comments...instead...tip my hat....and the floor is yours....

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Of course not because deep down you know it's true. The evidence is right there in your face. If big bad Verizon was delaying the updates then how can the G2 get the update? The S5? Note4? HTC One M8 and M7? Moto X 2014 get it so quickly? It shows if the manufacturers do their jobs and support their devices the update come quicker. Google did a project with Sony and they learned... Carrier testing on average is less than a month, and carriers do no coding unlike the online media and general Internet public believes.  The only time the carrier delays an update is when another update is going out and they don't want to flood their servers (See Apple servers on major releases and iPhone releases), or there's a major security issue that'll affect the network.  HTC, Sony, and Motorola admitted this. Facts or facts and straight from the horses mouth.

0 Likes
ggnmg3703
Contributor - Level 1

Again I am not going to argue with you and your unsupported claims.....I mean unless you work on the LG team at Verizon or part of the development staff.  We will just have to agree to disagree on this matter.  And, I still have to laugh and shake my head at your Apple comments!  ....tips hat once again...and leaves the floor to the know-it-all....

0 Likes