Data is being used when i have data turned off?
Kim2014
Enthusiast - Level 2

I turned my data off when I got home at 11 pm saturday. I left it off all day Sunday (and still haven't turned it on at 9:50 am Monday central standard time).

Verizon shows I used data on sunday - highest is 13 mb at 1:22am sunday. Not a huge amount but it's been doing this and it adds up. Why does verizon say I'm using data when it's turned off?

Screenshot_2016-05-02-09-54-37.png

Labels (2)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Data is being used when i have data turned off?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Tmat360,

We can definitely offer support for you as well. We know how vital it is that you're able to track your data usage. We can't recommend using any third party applications besides Apple's built in monitor or ours. I would stay away from those because we have no knowledge of how they work. If you wish to use Apple's monitor for your daughters phone, you can check this at the very bottom of Settings > Cellular. Keep in mind that for iPhones, this does not automatically reset. The only way this will remain close to accurate is if she or you goes in and selects "Reset Statistics" in the morning on the first day of the billing period. Is that something you've been doing?

EricW_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Keeping track of your data usage is a great way to prevent overages and unnecessary usage on your account KIM2014. I'm happy to see you monitor your usage closely. I'm sorry you show usage when you have data turned off. Do you have any background apps running? Do you turn data off or connect to wifi? How do you turn data off on your device?

KinquanaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Kim2014
Enthusiast - Level 2

I turn off my data by pulling down the notification bar. Across the top of the phone is a series of icons.

In this bar is one that says data. I touch it and it tells me I won't be able to do anything online, I tell it ok. Data is really truly turned off when I turn it off.

0 Likes
Kim2014
Enthusiast - Level 2

Here is another shot showing data use when I never turned data on yesterday. It had been off from Saturday night at 11 until I was at work this afternoon at 5:00.

Screenshot_2016-05-04-19-33-40.png

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for clarifying that information for us Kim2014. That is an approriate way to disable the data connection on your device. Sometimes this type of usage can be caused by delayed reporting. Are you connected to WiFi during these times? What happens if you try to use data not connected to WiFi when you have this disabled?
JosephE_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
Kim2014
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the wifi antennae on all the time. If I'm actually connected to a wifi network with Internet access, I can access internet. If I'm not, it tells me I'm offline.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We appreciate you bringing this concern to our attention Kim2014. Our data reporting is not quite real time. In the event that you noticed any significant data usage with mobile data turned off then we can investigate.

ArnettH_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

Tmat360

"Not quite real time"...how about not even close to real time! On my daughters iPhone "My Verizon" shows her usage at over 5 GBs used in 2 days, but her phone says 1.64. I had this problem last month and downloaded an app  to monitor her usage and limit it to 2GB per month that's how I know she's not even close to what Verizon says.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Tmat360 We understand the importance of having accurate data reporting. There is a huge difference between 5GB and 1.5GB. Where are you checking My Verizon data?

SheritaH_VZW

0 Likes
Tmat360

From "My Verizon Mobil" app.

0 Likes