Battery life tanked after upgrade to Android 9
Piscean1
Enthusiast - Level 2

My V30 battery typically went 30+ hours between charges.  After the upgrade to Android v9 2 weeks ago I'm lucky to go 12 hours.

Google Play Services is always the highest user, by a lot.  

Any fixes coming for this?  Anything to try to fix it while I wait for Google/Verizon to push a usable version of Play Services?

Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Battery life tanked after upgrade to Android 9
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Piscean1,

Updating software on the phone should be an easy task with enhancements that will help improve the experience with your device. I am concerned to hear that was not the case with your V30 but we will look into this matter now for you. When it shows the Google Play services as being the highest app used, have you accessed the app during that time? Does the phone appear to get warmer ever since the issue with the battery life began?

CandiceH_VZW

0 Likes
Piscean1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Google Play Services is an internal service on Android phones.  There isn't an "app" to access.  When this is high, it means the internal Android OS is using battery.

I haven't noticed the phone getting warmer.

This morning I took the phone off the charger 40 minutes ago.  It was fully charged.  Now it's at 94% and I 1 minute of usage time listed.  Phone idle is showing 39 minutes.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I do apologize for the confusion Piscean1. We will make sure we get to the bottom of why your battery is draining quickly. Have you updated an app or installed a new one since you updated your software? Has there been any physical or moisture on your device? http://spr.ly/66021DzXy Can you perform a Device Health Check on your device and let me know what it shows for the battery? http://spr.ly/66061DzXM I will be on standby. AmberF_VZW

0 Likes
Piscean1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I add and remove apps all the time, but since the battery life issue started, I've removed everything which was recently added.  

I ran Device Health Check.  It flagged one app as holding a wake lock for 1hr 39 minutes.  That app was uninstalled over a week ago, so the results don't seem very accurate.  I've rerun the Health Check 3 times.

The shocking drop in battery life happened the day this device installed Android 9.  

I have screen shots of Google Play Services using 40% of the battery and next biggest app (Podcast Republic) is at 6% after 3 hours of podcast playback.  It's clearly Google Play Services doing the damage, I'm just not sure how to stop it.

0 Likes
Piscean1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Kinda feeling ghosted here.  Did your battery also die?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for the additional details, Piscean1. In order to get to the bottom of this, can you please provide us with the make and model of your device?

AnnaG_VZW

0 Likes
Piscean1
Enthusiast - Level 2

It's LG V30.

0 Likes
Piscean1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Google Play Services has used 40% of the battery.  Podcast Republic played over 3 hours and only used  6%.Google Play Services has used 40% of the battery. Podcast Republic played over 3 hours and only used 6%.Battery is at 66%, but list of usage adds up to maybe 15%.Battery is at 66%, but list of usage adds up to maybe 15%.

0 Likes
Piscean1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Here's from yesterday.  CPS is still taking a massive portion of the battery.

CFTL6TCDZj.png

0 Likes